Part One

"Get it done, Atwater. I'm tired of all the doom and gloom around this place" Trudy huffed as she filed the last arrest reports for her shift, "Granted, I'm not a fan of the rainbows and unicorns either, but this? This has gone on long enough"

Kevin nodded, mostly in fear for his life. Just when he thought Trudy Platt would become at least half way decent, Kim went and called off her engagement to Adam and ruined everything.

Of course, he was being slightly dramatic but everyone was over the newest version of their desk sergeant it was shocking to see her reaction. He could only figure it had to do with her own impending wedding which was just a few months away, and this latest development had thrown a monkey wrench into everything.

You see Kim was her maid of honor, at least she was supposed to be, but now? She had backed out, claiming it was too much for her and she didn't want to bring Trudy down.

Which is exactly what happened.

Kevin groaned, "Sarge...just what am I supposed to do?" He held his hands up, in confusion and a small touch of fear, he'd be damned if he admitted that to anyone.

She rolled her eyes, "You're a smart man..aren't you?"

"I'd like to think so" he nodded, "but this is a lot to ask..of anyone. You know she hasn't said more than a few words to him in weeks" he didn't think he'd ever see Kim be as cold to someone as she had been to Adam. He knew she was still head over heels in love with the fool, and she was doing her best to protect her heart.

"Atwater...what is it you always say? Oh yea...I'm not playin', get it done. I don't care how you do just get Boy Wonder and Skinny Britches back together" she rolled her eyes and left Kevin at the desk, his jaw on the floor.

He headed upstairs to the bullpen taking the steps three at a time, "Yo, Halstead!"

Jay looked up from his desk and knew it immediately, "Hell no man...whatever it is, you can count me out" he smirked.

"Come on man, Platt is on my ass over this" he plopped down in his desk chair, thankful Ruzek had gone home for the night already.

"What is it now?"

Kevin wanted to bang his head against the desk, but settled for resting his head on his forearm, "Operation Reunite Ruzek and Burgess. I swear Platt is gonna suspend me if I don't get them back together"

Jay roared with laughter, Kevin cut his eyes at him. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh" he choked out, "it's not funny...well it's a little funny. Not Kim and Adam, but Platt's reaction, that's funny as hell"

"Are ya done?" Kevin asked annoyed, "help me out, what do I do?"

Erin returned from the break room, "You ready Jay?" She grabbed her coat from the back of her chair.

Jay clasped his hands together, "Thank you baby, you've saved me" he laughed, "Sorry Kev.... My woman needs me"

Erin cocked her head to the side, "Excuse me? I'm 'your woman'?" She asked incredulously, "I don't think so Halstead"

"S'not what I meant Erin...you know that...I just meant..." He rambled.

Kevin laughed at Jay's attempt to pry his foot out of his mouth, failing miserably, "Lindsay, maybe you're the one I need"

She folded her arms across her chest, "To do what?"

"Get Burgess and Ruzek back together" Jay answered for Kevin, pleased the attention had been shifted off of him.

Erin laughed, "Platt busting your balls too? She's been on me all week to get them together again."

"Well...?"