Part 9

Erin arrived at the venue at almost the exact time as Trudy, she quickly exited her car and flagged Trudy down.

"What is it Linsday?" Trudy asked as she adjusted the front of her dress, "Mouch is inside waiting for me"

Erin looked around the parking lot, Kim's car nowhere in sight. None of this made sense, she couldn't understand why their plans had changed and why Kim would cancel the limousine.

"This isn't weird to you?" Erin asked, her eyes still scanning the parking lot.

Trudy groaned, "Burgess is weird" she stated matter of factly, "You're looking for trouble where there isn't any..lets go inside"

Erin took one last look at the parking lot before following in Trudy's footsteps.

Antonio, Al huddled in the corner of the impromptu groom's quarters, laughing as Adam slowly unraveled, his pacing having evolved into just short of a full out panic attack.

Adam glared at them over his shoulder, "I'm glad you two are having a good laugh" he wasn't used to feeling like this, he didn't do nervous.

Today was the most important day of his life and he didn't want to screw it up, and he wanted it over.

Like yesterday.

He couldn't wait for her to be his wife, he loved her more than anything. He was never big on being the center of attention and that's exactly what he was right now. The attention should be on Kim, not on him. Just right now he felt like the spotlight was on him alone.

Kim sat motionless on the couch almost afraid to move, Sean was coming undone right before her eyes.

His eyes were wild as they darted around, almost as if he was unable to focus. His body was rigid, but his hands shook.

Spittle formed in the corner of his mouth, he dragged the back of his hand across his lips, he tossed a notepad and pen at her, "Write him a note...tell him it's over" he commanded.

She grabbed the notepad, "I can't..."

Sean laughed evilly, "you don't really have a choice, Burgess!" He knelt down in front of her, his nose just inches from her's "write the fucking note, Kim. I don't have all fucking day" he exhaled as he rose to his full height, he brought his hands to the top of his head, "Make it believable, your life depends on it"

"Babe...where the hell is Kim?" Jay whispered in Erin's ear as he ushered her to the back of the venue, "Ruzek is barely holding it together"

Erin checked her phone again, Kim was supposed to have arrived forty minutes ago, the wedding was to start in less than an hour, "Distract Adam, I'm going to call her"

Jay laughed sarcastically, he plunged his hands into his pockets and sighed, "I don't know if I can...he's a nervous wreck already. He's gonna start asking questions"

"Please"

Jay kissed her on the mouth quickly, "Alright...just let me know"

Erin paced as the phone went to straight to voicemail, "Kim? What the hell is going on...where are you? Call me." She rubbed her temples, a headache already growing behind her eyes.

Trudy watched as both the Ruzek and Burgess families begin to get restless, "Shouldn't be too much longer" Trudy called out, "just hold tight"

She was certain not a single person believed her, "Mouch, go check on the guys, see what's up" she ordered.

Mouch knocked lightly on the door, he could already hear Adam's panicked voice.

"Where is she?" Adam asked, "what the hell is going on?"

Al placed his hands on Adam's shoulders, "Calm down kid, I'm sure she's either already here or on her way."

Adam nodded, "Yea, I guess you're right. I'm just nervous" he admitted, he was certain what little he'd eaten throughout the day was going to reappear and soon.

Kevin opened the door, "Hey Mouch..what's up?"

Mouch curled his lip, "Nothing. My lady just wanted me to make sure everything was okay in here. Is it?"

Jay could see the look in Mouch's eye, he hoped Adam had missed it.

"We're good" Jay told him, hoping Erin had gotten a hold of Kim.

Adam looked up from the drink in his hand, "Kim here?"

Jay gulped.

Mouch's eyes darted around the room, avoiding Adam's.

Jay dragged his finger across his neck, hopping the signal would shut Mouch up, that he'd get the hint and leave.

Mouch felt his palms become sweaty, he ran them down the length of his pants, "Umm..I...uh..I should go. Yes, I should go"

Something about his voice unsettled Adam, "Wait, Mouch, what is going on?" He grabbed his arm.

The room grew silent, Adam looked at his friends and the look on Jay's face said it all.

"Halstead?" Adam asked.

Jay waved his hand, "It's fine Adam. Everything's fine"

"Don't lie to me...you're a shit liar" Adam felt his nerves settle and fear fill him, "Is something wrong?"

Jay rested his hands on hips, he really didn't know what was going on, "Adam..I don't.."

The opening of the door taking the pressure off him, "Adam...it's Kim" Erin spoke, she watched as the color drained from Adam's face and his knees buckled slightly.

Adam braced himself against the table, "What's wrong?"