Day Ten

For the past few days Jamie has been driving me to work. Trying to escape my boss in the mornings has been a trick. Lately he's been getting here later than usual so he could see who's been driving me. I thank god that it's been sunny lately so that gives Jamie a chance to slightly disguise himself. He just wears a Detroit Tigers snapback and aviator sunglasses so my boss doesn't see.

Ever since I got shot we haven't had sex or done anything sexual. Just straddling him hurts my leg. Which is sad because I'm not one that fingers myself at two am when I have nobody to ride.

Elizabeth is seated in the waiting room and she stands up as I pass her. Jamie takes a seat in the waiting room, keeping his hat and sunglasses on and I can feel his eyes burning into my ass. I close the door so he can no longer see me and I turn back to Elizabeth laying on the couch, sleeping. God, I'd kill to go back to bed.

I nudge her awake and she jumps on the couch. "Sorry, I didn't get much sleep last night."

"It's okay, was anything troubling your mind?"

"Nathan."

"What about Nathan was troubling your mind?" I ask, sitting down and pulling her folder up onto my lap.

"It was more of the fact that he was busy troubling my body," Elizabeth answers me. Oh.

"So that's why you're so tired," I say, amused, to say the least. Honestly, she doesn't look the type to have sex. But then again neither do I and well...shit happens, so I shouldn't be talking. She nods and I speak again. "I'm glad things are going well with that."

"I am too," she looks down at her hands. The grin on her face is one that I rarely see. It's the type of smile that you would see if someone is deeply in love. You can tell she loves him. I can almost guarantee he said 'I love you' after all of his mess ups. She told me how Nathan has a screwed up past-we all do-that caused him to not know how to treat girls. Maybe that's what we all need; someone to help bring us back to our senses. Someone to teach us what we don't already know.

"How is everything else going?" I question.

"It's going well," she replies. "my relationship with my sister is improving. Nathan's ex, Stacie, is still trying to attack me but he's keeping her away from me." Elizabeth and her sister don't usually get along as well as I wish they would. Ever since Elizabeth moved to Detroit to work as an interviewer for the Red Wings, her sister has been a pain in the ass because of it. I don't necessarily agree with her for moving away from her home out of nowhere but it's also her own life. I hope that her growing relationship with Nathan can help her feel better about her own with her sister. My old therapist always told me you should have at least one healthy relationship in your life. One that you will never let go of. I pray to God that that's what she and Nathan will be like. Maybe Jamie and I could be like that too.

"I'm glad to hear that."

Elizabeth nods.

"Anything else to report on?" I ask, looking at the time.

"Not that I know of," she yawns. I mutter an 'okay' and stare down at Jamie's file that peeks out of my bag.

I think back on his childhood. He told me he didn't originally live here in Michigan. He said that he never exactly had a home until college. All he did until then was move around Canada and then eventually settled down in Toronto for his last few years before he had to go to college. I can't possibly imagine how frustrating it could've been to move around like that. Starting out in Victoria, British Columbia and ending in Toronto, Ontario. Only to end up in Detroit Michigan.

I know I said he has a much easier life than me but I didn't mean that life. I meant his family. He has a beautiful family. Sometimes I wonder why he didn't go back to them after graduating from Calvin College. But in a way, I'm a little glad he moved into the city with Tyler.