Chapter 11 My first day at camp

We arrive at the camp and I see people with guitars and instrument cases. We go to the check in table and I get my cabin number and a key. The counselor wishes me luck and then sends me off, while another counselor shows me the way to the cabin. I walk into the cabin and it looks like I'm the first one here. I put my stuff on a bed to claim it as mine. "Well, if your settled in I'm going to go." Said my mom. "Okay." I replied. And then I gave her a big hug. "I'm going to miss you!" I said. Tears were starting to stream down my face. "Aww sweetie, I'm going to miss you too!" My mother pulled away and kissed my forehead. "I'll see you in a month." And with that, she was gone. I say on my bed and opened up a book. I have two hours until my first camp meeting. I read until I heard someone come into the room. "Hi, you must be Olivia! I'm Maxine, your cabin mate. But you can call me Max. If you want." She said as she set her stuff on the other bed. "It's nice to meet you, Max." She smiled at me and asked me what instrument I play. "I don't play and instrument, I only sing." I say. "Oh me too! Well I play a little guitar to but I mostly sing." She said sounding nervous. "Ok, well I'm going to find a bathroom. I'll catch up with you later." I said. I left the cabin before she could say anything. I like her, but, I'm just not up for making friends right now. I find an outhouse and lock myself in it. Ew. Not my choice of a sanctuary but, it's the only thing I have so far. After awhile I hear a knock on the door. "Hey! You've been in there for 30 minutes! Are you feeling ok?" I heard the voice say. "I'm fine I'm just a little home sick." I reply. "Ok, well I have to go to the bathroom, soooooo..." I step out of the outhouse to see a boy smiling at me. "Sorry." I say. "No need to apologize. I'm guessing this is your first year here." Said the boy. "Uh yeah." I reply trying to escape this conversation. "If you need anything let me know, my names Derek by the way." "Don't you have to go to the bathroom?" I ask. He started to laugh. "Yeah, I do" he said as he went into the outhouse. Ok so, maybe I can learn to like this place.