Warning Bells

Hey guys this chapter is kind of important because it touches the surface of Kira's past... so hope you like it. xx

---------------------------------------------

Kira's P.O.V.

My heart tightly compressed in my chest and the air suddenly became thicker around me.

"Don't ... just... don't." Hearing his name sent my feelings over the edge. Taking a step back I held my hands up in front of his chest gesturing him to stay away. "You don't know anything... So, stop..." I wanted to run away from there but running away will only make things worse.

"You never came back for sophomore and you should have seen him when he started junior, he was a mess, then he... just like you... he disappeared." Considering the fact that he was a year older than us, Caleb wouldn't have known the gossip in their grade.

"You have no idea what happened, do you?" I gulped to prevent myself from letting out a sob.

"All I know is he... became someone that no one expected him to be, he dropped out of football and I heard he started doing drugs and he hardly came to school." Caleb's solemn expression kept me calm, if I was the person I used to be before I met my real family, I wouldn't have given him a chance to explain his reasons to confront me, I would have told him to leave me alone and made his life miserable. However, I decided to change that person I was before and give Caleb a chance to explain.

"I understand what you're trying to say BUT, you honestly don't know what you're saying, Caleb." I let out a bitter chuckle. "And if you really want to be my friend like you said, you will never bring Aden up ever again and I also trust you to NOT tell people about me and Shane being cousins." I let out a frustrated sigh. "And just to make it clear... He's not waiting for me, he left me..."

I somehow managed to choke out the last words and with that, I brushed past Caleb in a hurry making my way towards the girl's toilet. I wasn't the type of a person who liked to cry, period. But, when it came to any situation related to Aden, I couldn't obtain my 'nothing can get to me' persona.

At one point, my whole world revolved around him, he taught me how to love, how to trust and to experience being loved by someone. I believed every lie he fed me. I believed it when he told me he'd never leave me, but that was the biggest lie he had ever told.

My thoughts were abruptly distrusted when my petite body collided with a slim yet tall figure. I looked up to find loose sheets of papers swaying among the thin air that glided through the deserted corridor when the door behind me flung open.

"I'm so sorry." I followed the trail of the sound only to find a blond girl scurrying as she picked the papers off the floor. Slowly, I squatted down to help the girl pick up her papers so that we both can be on our way. This act of kindness was still somehow semi-new to me, I decided to change as a person because of Aunty P, she was all about helping the poor because, when she was young, she didn't have the luxury that she provided us with, now I can clearly understand that helping an orphan or someone poor isn't about pity, it's about giving them a better opportunity.

This act of her kindness allowed me to explore the reasons behind why people took an orphan like me into their foster homes. However, that did not explain what I experienced when I was 9 and living in New York with 5 foster siblings in a compact house. That monster of a foster father took the sister away from me that I always wanted; she was my guardian angel, at least she was until she lied about not leaving me and, just like everyone else, she left...

"I'm so sorry about this." I looked up to find Lacey staring down at me. I lazily stood up to face her but she was still 4 – 5 inches taller than me.