Spying on the family

"Ready." My thoughts were soon interrupted by the Shane I always knew; clean shaved and spiky dark brown hair that made him look like Bart Simpson. He wore a blood red t-shirt with blue ripped Levis.

"Yup..."

The car ride to McDonald's was relaxing, instead of me blocking out the real world with music I decided to crack stupid jokes to keep his mind of Lacey, I didn't want to bring her up yet while he was driving.

"Kira, I know you... so tell why you brought me here." Shane leaned back in his lime chair opposite me.

"Okay, here it is... Veronica told me that Lacey passed out right in front of her and with the help from Kane she left her in a room to sleep it off." I made obnoxious faces during my statement so he wouldn't get pissed off.

"I don't really know what to believe." He dipped his head back in the chair staring at the ceiling inhaling loudly.

"AND..." He abruptly looked at me when I decided to continue. "Devon was passed out long ago... because Lacey mentioned you all went to play Beer Bong but D was playing until I and Caleb dragged him out and left him in an empty bedroom until he fell asleep."

"WHAT?" He snapped.

"Yup D was half dead long ago..." I let out a laugh. "And from Veronica's confession I'm guessing she put her in the same room as D, but it was too dark and they were too tipsy to realize."

Shane leaned forward resting his elbow on the table while he rubbed his face with both his hands. "I don't know, I'm just tired of hurting K... I know I sound like a wuss but for the first time I'm into a girl and she goes and hurts me."

"I don't think it's her who's hurting you; I think it's one of her friends... 'cause we tried to pin it on Vera but she only pulled that one stunt that night and I can't think of any of the other girls who has the balls to do anything like that." I explained.

"Then what are you saying?" Shane crossed his arms over the table while looking at me with only hope glistening from his eyes.

"Do you know Brooke?" My question immediately broke the eye contact he kept with me so far and brought irritated discomfort sheen to his face "Shane..." I dragged his name out.

"Okay, um... everyone thinks I've only known Lacey since the beginning of senior year and this is mid-October, but I've actually known her longer..."

"DUDE..." I cut him off knowing he was trying to avoid my question.

"Okay, okay... gosh" He rubbed his left palm over his face before continuing.

"Brooke and I were like ... friends with benefits..."

I let my expression be blank allowing him to explain further.

"After you know we found out about ... Saira... I kinda went ..."

"Jumped in a pool of naked whores...yeah I know Vera was one of them." I finished the sentence off for him keeping my voice cold yet soft.

"Well... It wasn't just one-night thing... we kinda had a deal ... no strings attached..." He had this distinct guilty look on his face. "I kinda saw Lacey with her once and I wanted her from then... and then after I broke off everything with every girl ... cause you know I wanted to go after Lacey." The last bit came out more casual than the ones before. "So yeah, then after Brooke found out I was... or am... with Lacey, she kinda flipped on me and threatened me to break it off with her or she will tell her about my deal with Brooke.

"But you went ahead and told Lacey instead." I smiled at his braveness.

"Yup... being the lovely girl she is, she forgave me and that's when I fell in love with her."