Angel with broken wings

"Trust you to not listen to anyone" Caleb gulped loudly as he tried to lift his bruised and battered body off the navy blue sheets that contained splattered of dark patches which I presume were produced by the blood that was seeping out of the newly created wounds.

His beautiful tanned face was now covered in red and blue blotches like smeared make up around his cheek bones, his dark hooded eyes appeared much smaller as the underneath of it were swollen but what scared me the most was the perfect reddish brown punch mark that clearly left a dent in his chiselled left jaw. 

It took me a couple of seconds to comprehend what exactly was happening and before I knew it, my legs automatically walked forward towards his king sized bed. Located in the middle of his navy blue room.

 To stop him from getting up by placing the palm of my hand on his tight scarred chest very gently because I was afraid that he would shatter into millions of fragile pieces of glass. 

Slowly sitting down on the edge of the bed with my eyes fixated on his body, I let the tip my fingers gently trace the fresh wounds, only to discover old healed scars that were always hidden underneath his vest he always wore, alternating between black, dark blue or white. 

Now I realise why all the other boys in gym will be walking around shirtless to impresses other girls while he would always have something covering his abdomen. It was to hide his scars. 

The scarlet dried blood clung to his smooth skin in various shapes and sizes around the hollow dents created –what I presume- was with a shallow knife, made my heart clench in agony. 

My whole body liquidised when I brought my gaze back to his beautiful damaged face. Ignoring the shame and hurtful expression he held in his eyes, I stared at the short black hairs –that has replaced his thick black short on the sides and long spiky on top hair- which now provided a full view of his skull.

I felt his hand graze my leg that was folded sideways underneath me and his touch burned through the thin material that my skinny jeans possessed. 

My leg felt like it was on fire and that's when I realised that his pinky finger looked slightly disoriented. Blinking rapidly, I tried to keep the tears at bay before I slowly turned my head towards his face from his hand that now rested on my leg.

 My heart hurt every time I looked in those squinted eyes that were trying to stay open for me and that did it, beads of crystal water glided down my cheeks as I scooted forward carefully so that his body didn't break into pieces.

"Don't..." His voice came out just a tiny bit louder than a whisper as he winced while removing his hand off my leg to wipe the streak marks that were left on my cheeks, with his thumb.

 "Don't cry for me... I'm not worth it." He paused and removed his hand quickly. "Shit, I got blood on your face." He breathed out as he frantically looked around for any loose cloth that were in his arm's length.

"Stop..." I sighed not knowing exactly what to say because my inside was practically dying over and over again every time I looked at him. "How ... why... when... wha..." I stuttered making him chuckle because we both knew that I never stuttered.

"I... I don't wanna lie to you..." He sighed. "I just... I want to tell you but I don't want you thinking any different of me Kira..." His expression looked broken and scared of the consequences.

"I don't care Caleb... You're hurt... OH GOSH." That's the moment when all my common sensed reappeared as I shot up from the bed ignoring the hurt expression that was slapped across his face. "Where's the first aid box?" I ran a hand through my long hair while he sighed in relief.

"You don't-"

"Where... is it?" I repeated trying to look demanding.

"In the kitchen... next to the freezer..." That's all the information I needed before I bolted out the room and down the stairs. "RED BOX" He screamed which was quickly followed by a loud groan that pierced my heart once again. 

With out wasting in any time I grabbed the red rectangular steel box that had a white cross on it with First-Aid written under it. Considering the fact Brody's mother is a nurse and his father works in Manhattan as a Doctor, they were bound to have these lying around the house. 

That's when it kicked in, that's why he was there in New York; funny how his story was similar to mine but only real. A lot of family's around here were distorted like that but still together, our town is a small compact community and everyone knows each other. 

However there wasn't much you could do here so the male in the family usually took jobs outside of our town or even other countries. I quickly shoved the thoughts at the back of my head before opening and closing his bedroom door behind me.

"Did you fly?" He asked with a smirk across his -still- beautiful face as his position remained the same as before I left him.

"Yeah I'm a bird..." I suggested. I quickly walked forward towards him placing myself down on the bed in the same position as before.

"No... An angel..." He corrected while sincerity was oozing through his voice.

"More like angel with broken wings." I replied opening the box trying to find the right substances to try to help him with.

"No-" I cut him off by getting up from the bed and walking towards the direction of his bathroom. I quickly grabbed the navy towel that was hung from the handle on the side wall and ran it under the tap. 

That's when I noticed the crimson blood smeared across my right cheek that Caleb was talking about. 

Caleb's blood; that made my heart clench in my chest once again. With out thinking about how I look right now I left his mark there and bolted out the light colour tiled bath room -which look merely similar to mine- with damp towel.

"Where's your mom?" I asked sitting back down closer to him.

"She had a night shift so she didn't come home, she was supposed to be here by morning but I guess she got caught up at work again or something." His eyes mirrored a lost puppy's expression but I didn't miss the subliminal message that was embedded under his words.

"You know she cares about you right?" I took a hold of his arm and gently patted the blood stained areas.

"Then why isn't she here, taking care of me instead of you?" He asked through gritted teeth. Although he was angry, I couldn't help form a small smile on my lips when I realised what I was actually doing. 

Taking care of him, like he did of me. I moved the damp towel upwards towards his huge biceps, then across his shoulder blades making him hiss in pain when the material touched the sensitive skin. 

My eyes quickly adverted from the area towards his clenched face that hung low at the direction of his lap with his eyes firmly shut.

Without thinking, I moved my head forward towards his shoulder blades' and planted a gentle kiss right above the fresh red bruise making his head shot up towards me in amusement and shock.

"Kira..." I heard him mumble under his shaky breath.

"Shhh..." I hushed him as I continued repeating my actions down his chest.

Every time I'd slowly wipe of the dried blood off his delicate wounds I'd plant a soft kiss on it making him shiver every time. His eyes were squeezed shut the whole way through the process and after about -what seemed like- an hour. I stopped and scanned his body for any more dried blood that I missed.

"Is there any more on your back?" I asked making him open his eyes slowly.