Mother Knows Best

Liam-5

Louis-3

Jay- mum

Mark-dad

"Mark thank god you're here. I wasn't sure if you'd come. Our poor baby is so ill" Jay cried as she hugged her soon to be ex husband. Mark pushed her off and rushed to the bedside of his youngest son Louis. This was the third time he'd been in hospital in the past two months.

"I'm not here for you I'm here for Louis." Mark said as he softly stroked Louis' hair.

"Hi baby, daddy's here."

"It hurts daddy."

"I know love but the doctors will help you feel better." Liam lifted his arms up to be held by Mark and he happily picked him up. Liam hated the circumstances but he was happy to see both his parents in the same room again without fighting.

"Will Lou Lou be okay?"

"Yes baby, he'll be okay." The doctors ran multiple tests on Louis but couldn't find what was wrong and Louis seemed to be getting better so they released him. 

*

"Mark I was about to take the boys out to the park, do you want to come?"

"Jay, please stop calling me and asking me to go on family outings with you. We just end up fighting and it's not good for the boys. I'll be there Friday to pick them up for my weekend. Bye"

Mark didn't pick them up for his weekend as planned. Instead he was back in hospital with Jay and the boys as Louis had once again fallen ill. The doctors ran more tests and found something peculiar that the think they missed last time so they decided to interview Jay and Mark. Jay went first and twenty minutes later she came back and it was Mark's turn.

"Hello Mr. Tomlinson, so we have our suspicions but first I have a few questions. How is Louis' medical record?"

"Well this is the fourth time he's been in hospital in the past two months but before that he never had any medical problems."

"And has anything major happened in the past two months?"

"Um...well it's not medical related but Jay and I filed for divorce two months ago."

"Who has custody of the boys?"

"She has them during the week and I get them on weekends."

"Has she tried getting you to come around during the week?"

"Yes..um I don't see how any of this has anything to do with my son being ill."

"Actually this might be the whole problem."

"Our divorce is making him ill?"

"Not exactly, what we suspect is called Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome. It's when a parent purposefully causes harm to their own child with underlying motives then acts as if they're concerned and care for the child."

"You think I hurt my own son?!"

"Not you, your soon to be ex wife. And now the motive is clear as well. You only come around when the kids are involved and she's trying to keep you around as much as possible."

"Then why is she only doing this to Louis?"

"He's younger, there's a larger chance Liam would catch on. Now I've called the police and they're in a secret room waiting in case my suspicions are true. I'm going to test Jay. I have a needle here and I'm going to put it next to a medicine that isn't lethal but it can make someone very sick if it's administered incorrectly. I'm filling the actual needle with a water solvent that will make the skin tint blue. It's completely harmless. In the needle the solvent will look the same as the medicine so if Jay administers it and tries to refill it she won't be able to tell the difference." Mark nodded and the Dr. placed the needle and medicine when Jay was paying attention to a sleeping Louis then walked back out. "Okay I placed it, now I need you to tell her you're leaving. She'll try to get you to stay which means Louis might "take a turn for the worse." Mark nodded and went inside then came back out five minutes later.

"Okay I told her, she begged for me to stay but I told her no." Just then, Jay ran out of the room.

"Help! Doctor he's turning blue! Mark you have to stay please! Our baby!" The police came out of hiding and placed Jay in handcuffs.

"Jay Tomlinson you're under arrest for purposefully poisoning your son Louis Tomlinson."

"YOU HAVE NO PROOF!"

"Actually we do, that needle I left was a test. It was just water solvent." the doctor said as the police dragged Jay away.

"I-I can't believe she'd do this to our son, our little boy. Just for attention." Mark said as he began to cry.

"It'll be okay Mr. Tomlinson. Louis will be just fine, we're giving him some fluids but he'll be able to go home tonight. Both boys will be in your custody seeing as Jay was arrested. I can get Liam from the playroom for you if you'd like?"

"Um yes please, thank you." Mark said as he walked back into Louis' room where the boy was still sleeping. He grabbed his hand and kissed it. "Don't worry Loubear, daddy will take care of you and Li. I won't let anything happen to you ever again, I love you boys more than anything. You'll be safe now."

This is a real medical condition that doesn't have a lot of awareness. It's typically the mother who does it and it's usually to keep the father around. In a lot of cases the child ends up dying because the person making the child ill takes it too far. Btw sorry for not being able to update. My phone completely broke so I'll just be updating randomly from wherever I can.