Chapter 1

Miranda's pov

I stare at the ceiling, at mom and dad's house. They keep saying you'll never make it. Give up. But I won't. The clock strikes midnight. I jump out of bed and get my clothes on, grabbing my Jason Aldean merch shirt. I strap my guitar and it's case to my back. "Sorry mom and dad but cowgirls don't quit." I put my cowboy hat on and sneak out my window. "They're never gonna care. If you want something done right, ya gotta do it yourself." I murmur, walking down the street, thumbing for a ride. It's December and five below. I'm freezing.

Jason's pov

I was driving home from a show in Alabama when I see a girl walking down the street, a guitar slung on her back! What's she doing?! It's freezing out there. "Hey Mike, stop the bus!" I call.

Miranda's pov

I hear the screeching of brakes. I turn around and fall back in shock. Jason Aldean's bus. I look down at my shirt. I fell on my butt when I saw his bus. The door opens and Jason himself walks off the bus. "Little girl, what are ya doin' walkin' down the street like this?" I shakily get to my feet. "I-I ran away. I'm trying to get to Nashville." He smiles. "Well, I'm on my way there. Maybe you could hitch a ride with us." "Yeah! I'd love to! Thanks!" "Anything for my fans. Come on." My face gets red. Because of my fan shirt. We go onto his bus. "Wow, this is so cool!" I gasp, looking around. He laughs and sits down. "I have to ask hun, how old are you?" Uh oh. He'll find out I'm underage. His bassist Tully sits beside him with his guitar. "Well I'm sixteen.... But before you say anything, my parents don't care that I'm gone. They probably don't even know!"

Jason's pov

Oh man. She's underage. I could get in trouble. "I.... Um... I wanna help you but you're only sixteen." "I know. But I only need the ride. Then you'll never see me again!" Oh jeez. "Sweetheart I can't in good conscience leave you on the streets of Nashville." "Then just let me out. I'll walk." She stands up to leave. "You can't go out there. It's freezing." "I'm going to make it to Nashville. Nothing is gonna stop me."

Miranda's pov

I fight back the tears and walk back off the bus I continue walking down the street. I will make it. Even if I have to do it alone.

*later*

Jason's pov

Man I can't stop thinking about that little girl walking to Nashville. I should've just helped her to Nashville. I hope her parents aren't worried. I hope they know where she is. I think I'm gonna get a drink. I go to my kitchen which has a built in bar. I grab my fireball whiskey. "Hey dad, there's a girl in the tree out front." I jump slightly when my twelve year old daughter, Sierra pops up out of nowhere! "Kiddo what'd I tell you about sneaking up on me?" She laughs and sits down. "What are ya gonna do about the girl?" Girl? What girl? I lower the bottle. "What are you talking about?" "There's a girl. In the tree. I just said that." I roll my eyes. "Look darlin' I've been up all night. I'm exhausted. So there's a girl out there?" "Yeah."

Miranda's pov

I'll find some place to stay tomorrow. Right now I'll just sleep in this tree. "Day one." I whisper, closing my eyes. "Hey you up there!" Someone shouts! I lose my balance and fall out of the tree, screaming. I expected impact with the ground but it never came. I opened my eyes and gasped in surprise seeing that Jason caught me! "H-How?" I choke out. "I'm fast on my feet darlin'. What are ya doin' in the tree?" "I was gonna sleep!" I mumble. He sets me down. "How'd you get here so fast?" "I hitched a ride." "Man, I'm gonna probably get my ass handed to me for this. But come on inside. You have to call your parents." My eyes go wide and I clutch my guitar tightly to my chest. "Aw hell no! I can't call them!"

Jason's pov

"They said if I ran away one more time they'll put me in the box! I can't go in the box again! Please don't make me go back there!" She starts crying. What's she talking about the box?! "Whoa hun calm down. What are ya talkin' about?" "I have to go. I'm sorry for bothering you again." She tries to leave but I grab her arm. "You can't leave. Explain this to me. What's the box?" Her eyes go wide. "Come inside. You don't have to call your parents.... Yet." She wipes her eyes. "Okay."