Chapter 3

Miranda's pov

If I wanna find my own way in life I've gotta go. But I'll do what he says. I grab my guitar. "What's going on?" I ask, walking back out to them. Luke smiles, resting a hand on my back and guiding me down the basement steps. Jason's already down there messing with some kind of system. "What is all this?" I ask, confused. "This is my in home studio. Ya wanna sing?"

Sierra's pov

I hope that girl leaves soon. I don't like her! She's not my sister! He's not her daddy! He's my daddy! My friend Rachel rests a hand on my shoulder. "I don't think that'll happen. He's just making sure she's okay." "Why?! She's not our family!" She shrugs.

Miranda's pov

That was so much fun!! "Here's a promise I've got for you, sweetheart." He says, super serious, which worries me. I set down my guitar. "What is it?" I ask, shakily. "It's nothing bad." He says, with a slight laugh. "Oh." I blush, forcing a smile. "You will never go back to your parents. I won't let that happen, you have my word." I almost burst into tears. "What do I do when they come for me?" I whimper, my voice shaking. "Then they'll have to get through me. And trust me they won't. Get. Through. Me." My eyes go wide. "B-But Jason, I wasn't planning on staying. I have to get away from my old life. So they can't track me down!" "You're not gonna leave, honey. You're safe here. I promise." He says, hugging me tightly. I can't hold back the tears anymore. I start crying. My shoulders shaking. "It's alright sweetheart. I'll be your family now." He sits down, me in his lap as I cry and he holds me. "Now I won't let them near you but I have to call them." That sends fear through me. "But if they know where I am-" "They won't touch you! Never again!" "You promise?" I gasp, wiping away the tears. "I promise. You're my little girl now and I won't let no one touch ya." That catches me by surprise. "Wait! I am?" I gape. He smiles. "That's why I said uncle Luke." Wow, he really means it. He helps me stand up and we go to the kitchen. He grabs his phone. "What's your parent's numbers?" I'm scared. I know he said they won't hurt me but after sixteen years of being bullied and hurt, it's hard. "I'm scared." "Don't be." I shakily tell him the numbers and he dials.

Jason's pov

I put the phone to my ear, listening to it ringing. She's shaking. Poor thing. She's absolutely terrified. I squeeze her hand reassuringly. "Don't be afraid. They won't hurt you." I whisper. Then I hear them pick up. "Hey are you Miranda's parents?" "Yeah, you know where she is?" "Yes I do. We need to have a serious talk." I keep Luke in charge of her and go in the other room. She doesn't need to hear this conversation. "Where is she?" "She's with me. And she's staying with me. You can try and do whatever you want but you will never see that girl again, not as long as I'm still alive and breathing." "You can't do shit! You don't have any rights!" "I will once I take your fucking asses to court for child abuse. That kid is terrified to even come out of her room! And yes she has a room here! Not a box! You sick twisted bastard!" "How.... How'd you know about that?" "She told me." "How much did she tell you?" "She told me everything."

Miranda's pov

Hearing him yell at my parents just totally scared the crap out of me. He's serious! He really meant it too. I could tell. Uncle Luke pats my back. "Don't you worry. Once that hardheaded cowboy sets his mind to something. He won't let nothin' stop him." I force a smile. "Thanks. You guys are doing so much for me. I'll never be able to repay you." He hugs me. "You don't have to repay us! You're family now, princess." Jason walks back in the room. "Well they're gonna fight to get ya back." He says, striking fear into me. My eyes widening in worry. "They're gonna fight and they're gonna lose. I'm gonna get their asses thrown in jail so they can't hurt anyone else." Tears start falling and I run over and hug him tightly. "Thank you so much." I gasp. "Of course sweetheart."

*a few days later*

Jason's pov

"So she's like my sister now?!" Sierra yelps. "Yes. She's family now so you better start treating her like it." Sierra doesn't like the idea of having a sister. Well she's gonna have to get used to it because I'm not letting anything happen to her." "You're my daddy! Not her daddy!" She cries. I sigh. "Come here baby girl." She runs over and I hug her. "This girl needs us. She needs a real family. Just try to get along with her. Maybe you'll find out you have a new best friend." "I won't I hate her!" "Hey don't say that! She's been told that enough!" Uh oh I hear crying and it's not Sierra. I follow the noise and find her crying in the basement with her guitar clutched to her chest. "I don't wanna come between you two." She says. "Don't worry. Sierra just has to get used to it." She finally looks up. "Why do you care? You're the first person ever to care about me!" Oh my gosh. I walk down the steps and help her stand up. "That's just a question I can't answer. Now come on. We have work to do." "Work? What work?" "Well ya can't just wear my merch shirt every day. You're going shopping." "But this is my favorite shirt!" I laugh. "Darlin' I've got thousands." We walk back upstairs. She goes to take a shower. "You be nice." I say pointing to Sierra. She's gonna have to get used to it. Because she's not going anywhere.