Chapter 12

Jason's pov

Mike has set up some concerts for me to get the folks fueled up for the upcoming ACM awards. We were discussing it when I heard Miranda singing. "If I could just come in I swear I'll leave, won't take nothin' but a memory, from the house that built me." I walk down the hall to my daughters' room. Sierra was sitting on the floor listening while Miranda sat in the bed and played the Lambert smash hit. "Mama cut out pictures of houses for years from better homes and garden magazine." I open the door to listen better. She keeps on singing with a smile. "Nail by nail and board by board, daddy gave life to mama's dream. I thought if I could touch this place or feel it, this brokenness inside me might start healing. Out there it's like I'm someone else I thought that maybe I could find myself, if I can just come in, I swear I'll leave, won't take nothin' but a memory from the house that built me!" She sings with such emotion! "You leave home you move on and ya do the best ya can! I got lost a time or two and forgot about who I am! If I could just come in I swear I'll leave won't take nothin' but a memory from the house that..... Built me." Wow. I uncross my arms. "Hey Mike, I think I found my opener!" Her eyes go wide. "Wait? Me playing in front of all those people?" I nod. "You're amazing!" "Oh this is so cool!" She jumps in the air. I chuckle and Mike appears with a smile. "I heard it from down the hall."

Miranda's pov

"That daughter of yours has talent." My eyes go wide. I love it when people call me his daughter. Even though technically I'm not really. "So dad, what's my set list gonna be?" He smiles. "Get a list of ten songs you wanna perform and I'll notify my band." My singing dream is coming true! I hug him. Sierra catches my guitar. "Thanks." Everyone leaves and I sit down. Hm, what songs? Here's the list I came up with.

1. House that built me by Miranda Lambert
2. Crash my party by Luke Bryan
3. Don't blink by Kenny Chesney
4. Song of the south by Alabama
5. Words are medicine by Tim McGraw
6. Buzzin' by Blake Shelton
7. Beat this summer by Brad Paisley
8. That's my kinda night by Luke Bryan
9. Starin' at the sun by Jason Aldean
10. My little girl by Tim McGraw

I give the list to dad and he smiles. "I'll show my band so they know what songs to play." He says patting my head.

*later*

"Song, song of the south, sweet potato pie and I shut my mouth. Gone, gone with the wind. There ain't nobody lookin' back again!" I get through the rest of my set list and dad comes on. He hugs me as I walk passed. "That was my daughter everyone. She's just as good as her father." I love it when he says stuff like that.

*later*

Jason's pov

My phone rings, waking me up. "Yo what's up Mike." I say, groggily. "You and Miranda need to get down here. There's a certain band who wants to see you both." "Ok who?" "Just come and see!" He's weird sometimes. I get ready to go. "Hey Miranda, Mike wants us to come to the studio." "For what?" She asks, walking out of her room. "I don't know. You know Mike. Being all secretive." I say shrugging. We get to the studio. "Ok guys when you see who's behind this door, don't faint." I raise an eyebrow confused. "Just tell us man." Then I hear song of the south in the studio. My eyes land on my daughter. She's just as shocked. "Is that A-Alabama?" She stutters. Mike nods and opens the door. "Alabama!" My daughter gasps shocked. I catch her right before she faints. "Heh heh, she's a huge fan." I say, holding her up. "So this is the infamous daughter of the famous Jason Aldean?" Randy says. I shakily nod, being a super huge fan myself it's pretty incredible having a conversation with the band that carved the way for country music for the people like me and Luke. "Well someone recorded her performance of song of the south and our manager thought that it would be a good idea to let her play it with us at the awards." My God! "Y-Yeah!" I gasp shocked. "Baby girl, wake up, you're gonna be singin' with Alabama!" She mumbles something then opens her eyes. "Oh dad I had the most amazing dream-" "That wasn't a dream honey." Her eyes land on the Alabama band again and she faints again. We all laugh and I pick her up bridal style. "I guess she's pretty ecstatic." I say, smiling. "I can't wait for the awards." Jeff says, patting my shoulder. "Thanks guys. This is an amazing opportunity for her. She's always wanted to be a famous singer like me." "Well now she will be."

*three days later*

I get a letter in the mail a few days later. It's addressed to Miranda from the ACM awards. That's odd. I call for her and hand her the letter. "Is it for me performing?" I shrug. She opens it and screams. I look over confused. "I-I'm up f-for n-new artist of the year!" My eyes go wide. "You are?" She nods and turns the paper around. It clearly says that. "Wow! Darlin'! I'm so proud of you!" I gasp, hugging her. My little girl is following in her daddy's footsteps.