Chapter 11

Jason's pov

"Yeah it'll be fine. I know I made the right choice." I say to Luke over the phone. I don't know why he's so worried about me adopting Miranda. "I'm sorry, I'm just a little freaked at the thought." He says. "No need to-" I hear a scream down the hall. I sit up quickly. "I'm gonna have to call you back." I say, hanging up. I take off down the hall to Miranda's room. She was having another bad dream. "No! Don't take me back!" Whoa! I pull her to a sitting position. "Sweetheart, wake up!" I gasp, but she doesn't wake up. I pull her into my lap. "Hey, I will never give you back. You're my little girl and you always will be. Don't you worry." I whisper soothingly. She's shaking in my arms. "D-Dad?" I smile when I see she's awake. "W-What happened?" She whispers. "You were having a bad dream." I say, laying her back down on her bed. "I.... I usually remember my dreams.... But..... I didn't remember this one." Maybe that's for the best. Especially after what she said during the dream. "It's alright sometimes it's good not to remember it." I say, kissing her forehead. "Goodnight daddy." "Goodnight baby girl." I go back to my room and pick my phone up and call Luke back. "What was that about?" "Miranda was having a nightmare. I had to wake her up, man that poor kid. She said in her sleep, don't give me back." "Oh jeez." I stare out the window worriedly. "I want her to know I will never give her up. She's always gonna be my little girl now." "Hey Jason, you're a good man." I smile. "Thanks." I glance at my bedside clock. "Hey I'm gonna jump outta here. It's like midnight and I gotta get up in a few hours to get the girls ready for school. So I'll talk to you tomorrow." I hang up and lay down.

*the next day*

Miranda's pov

"You okay?" Sierra asks. I shakily nod as we walk downstairs. "I heard you screaming last night." She says. I sigh. "Just a bad dream, I'm fine." "Hey girls good morning." Dad says, while cooking breakfast. I smile. We sit at the island. "What is it today, master chef?" Sierra jokes. He chuckles. "Y'all haven't lived til you've tried your mama's famous apple strudel." Sierra's eyes go wide. Dad doesn't talk about mom much. But I do want to know more about her. He hugs Sierra. "Your mama loved you more than anyone don't you ever forget that." He says. "I won't dad. I just miss her." He serves breakfast and I pat her back. "I'm sorry about your mom." I say.

Jason's pov

I was turned at the stove. "You mean our mom." Hearing her say that shocks me. I turn around and see them hugging. "You're my sister now. Which means my mama is your mama." "Wow, it's so great to see you two getting along like that." Then the bus pulls up. "Oh the bus! I'll see you after school." I say, hugging them both. They barely catch the bus.

Miranda's pov

Me and Sierra were watching YouTube on my phone. "Ugh this is boring." She says. I get out of it. "What do you wanna do?" I ask. "Hey dad's up for some awards at the ACMs." "Which ones?" "Entertainer, album, and male vocalist." "I hope he wins them. Especially entertainer." She nods in agreement. Someone flicks me in the back of the head. I spin around. "What was that for?" He laughs. "The Aldean girls are just so proud." He says teasingly. I'm getting ticked and Sierra can tell. "Just don't." She says. I shake my head and stand up. "Yeah you narcissistic little twat! I am proud of my dad! He's one of the most amazing and nice people I've ever known so fuck off you little no good dirt eating bug I should squash!" Everyone is staring at me. I realize someone is recording me. "Anyone else have anything to say about my dad?!" I yell angrily. They all stay quiet. I smile and sit back down satisfied. "Whoa! Miranda! That was awesome!" "I know."

*later*

Jason's pov

Luke comes over and he looks like he's been laughing. I open a beer and sit on the couch. "What's up?" "Check this out!" He says, pulling up YouTube. "Someone caught it all on tape." Caught what on tape. It shows the girls' school bus! Some kid was making fun of them for being my daughters and Miranda stood up and told him off! "Ha ha! That's my girl!" I gasp laughing. "The looks on those kids' faces!" He says. "They ain't gonna mess with my girls again."

*later*

I smile when the girls get home. I'm gonna so mess with her. I put on a pretend angry face. "What did you two do today?" I ask. "Oh nothin' the same old same old." Miranda says shrugging. Luke smiles at me from the island. "Someone in this room is trending on social media." Luke says. Both girls' eyes go wide. "Is it for your awards?" Sierra asks. I shake my head. "It's for a certain video on a certain school bus." "Uh oh." She says. I smile and pat the couch. "I'm not mad honey. I almost spit beer out from laughing so hard." "Oh, so you're glad!" I nod. "It was cool the way you stood up for this family like that." "Thanks dad!" I hug her tight. "Ok girls y'all go get dressed in old clothes. We're going to Luke's to go muddin'." "Yay!" Both girls shout and run upstairs. Luke walks over, hands on his hips and a smile on his face. "You're such a great father, Jay." "Thanks Luke. I love being a father to my girls." I love my girls with everything I got. I won't let nothin' happen to them.