Chapter 28

Jason's pov

Where the heck is she?! I try to slow my breathing so I can think. Dammit! Where did she go?! That kid sure is fast. I sigh and lean against the wall, completely drained. My eyes catch something on the ground. I pick it up and my hands tense up. It's her hair band.

Miranda's pov

The van makes several bumps. Each time, a fearful whimper comes out of me. They finally take the gag out. "W-What do you want with me?" I whimper. "I heard your desperate cries. I can help you." I stare ahead confused since I'm still wearing a blindfold I don't know where to look. "What? What do you mean?" "I can take you to a woman who will love you." My jaw drops. "No! Let me go! I wanna go home!" I yell, standing up. But the van takes a sudden turn and I fall down. "I want my daddy!" I gasp, shaking. I feel a hand on the back of my neck. He helps me sit up. "Please I'm begging. Let me go! My dad is probably terrified!" He laughs and yanks the blindfold off. "I don't think so! He's dead! I killed him!" He yells in my face. I scream bloody murder seeing dad's Atlanta braves cap, covered in blood in his hands. I don't stop screaming til he slaps me in the face. "N-No! You c-can't! W-Why?!" The van lurches to a stop. The guy makes me get out. I take in my surroundings, sawing off the ropes with my knife. "Come on kid." The guy growls. "P-Please.... You didn't k-kill m-my dad!" I gasp beggingly. He just laughs again. "Stone cold dead I'm afraid. Stabbed him in the chest." Rage boils inside me I see red. Nothing but hot fiery red! I scream and as I yank my wrists free I stab him over and over in the chest with my knife until someone hits me in the face with a gun.

*later*

Jason's pov

Luke and I get some tracker dogs and they've picked up on her scent. "Please let her be okay." I whisper, holding her locket which I also found in the alleyway. She never takes this off. Something happened. Something bad. It starts to rain. "What if the dogs lose the scent!?" Luke looks over at me with bloodshot teary eyes. "Jason, we will find your daughter." He says, putting a hand on my shoulder. "God, buddy, I hope you're right." I gasp, tears raining down my cheeks, mixing with the sweat and rain. One of the dogs howl and Luke loses grip. I turn on a flashlight and we take off running. Now we're in a thick forest. There's a log cabin and a white van out front. I run over breathing heavily. I grab the dog's leash.

Miranda's pov

I shakily lift my head, my hair sticky with blood. I press a hand to the wound in hopes it'll make it stop bleeding. "I'm looking for an eighteen year old girl. Dark brown hair, a rebel girl. She's my daughter." My head snaps up. "Daddy!" I cry. "Sorry dude, there's no kids here. This is a huntin' lodge." I hear dad curse and a dog bark hysterically. "Daddy, don't go! I'm in here!" I scream desperately.

Jason's pov

The stupid dog keeps pulling me while I'm talking to these guys. "Ok j-just keep an eye out for me. I'm desperate." I start to walk away but Luke stays. "Luke, what are ya doin' man?" "They're lying." He whispers. Huh? I look back at the guys, talking and joking. It looks like us at buck commander. "I'm pretty sure it's just a hunting lodge Luke." He sighs. "Let's keep looking then."

Miranda's pov

"No! Dad! I'm here!" I gasp, my voice hoarse. I hear his footsteps fading. The men laugh. "No! Daddy!" I whimper, crying into my hands. He left. I am here though! I'm as good as dead now.

*3 weeks later*

Jason's pov

Me and Luke were mapping out where to look next. Someone bailed her stupid bitch mother out of jail. I hope I don't have to deal with her getting in my way. "Jason, I think we should check that cabin. We might find something." He says. The dogs were barking pretty bad out there. I walk into the living room where Brittany holds Sierra who's been crying since I had to tell them. "We will find her. I'm not gonna give up." I say, trying to sound confident and failing. I sit beside them and hug them both.

Sierra's pov

I can't believe it's going on the fourth week and we still haven't found my sister. I can't stop crying. And I've had nonstop nightmares, horrible scenarios she might be in. I wish I knew what happened. Justin joined in on the search but they've come up empty handed. I hear he and dad talking downstairs. "Justin, I know ya wanna help. But I need you here to take care of the girls." Dad says. "I need to take care of my girl!" Justin yells back. I hear the door slam. "Stubborn ass kid." Dad mutters. "Ready to go?" Uncle Luke asks. I don't hear anything after that then my bedroom door opens. I uncover my head. My face is probably red from crying. Dad sits on the bed beside mine. Miranda's bed. "D-Daddy." I whisper. He opens his eyes. A forced tired smile on his face. "I thought you were asleep." I shake my head and sit up. "What if we can't find her?" I shakily ask terrified. "We will, honey." He says, standing up. "Just get some sleep. You have school tomorrow." He kisses my forehead and walks back out. Then I hear the four wheelers start up again.