Chapter 25

Jason's pov

Miranda's date comes over. "You can tell him your real name by the way." I say. She smiles. He shakes my hand and hugs Miranda. "Ready to go?" She nods. I don't like this. She's growing up too fast! I sigh. "Have fun baby girl." I hug my daughter and she goes on her date. Sierra holds my hand. "You okay?" I nod. "Don't grow up too fast on me sweet girl."

Miranda's pov

"Hey Justin I have a confession." He glances at me with a raised eyebrow. "What?" "Um well my real name isn't Allie. It's really Miranda. I had to go into hiding for a little bit so I had to change my name." He smiles. "I like that name. It's pretty and unique." I smile and we go to a movie. He holds my hand and when the couple on the screen kiss, we kiss.

*later*

I get back home from the date. Daddy is standing in the kitchen doorway, talking on the phone but he's tense. "You're going up against the wrong guy." Huh? "Dad?" He spins around. "Thank God you're home." "What's going on?" "Your parents. They called me." Uh oh. My hands tense up. I back up terrified. "W-What did they say?" "Your dad apparently was a military man." He says, pocketing his phone with a sigh. I shake my head, clenching my fists. "No. My daddy is a country singer who's getting married soon." I say, smiling. He smiles too. "Well, I'm not gonna get into it. Just know, he can try all he wants but he ain't gettin' you from me." I hug him. "I'm scared dad." "Don't be princess. I'll take care of you. Hey someone is turning 18 soon." I blush a little. "Maybe." I say, looking away. He smiles. "I love you, hun." "I love you too dad."

*a few days later*

I notice dad started carrying his pistol with him again. Probably because of my dad calling him. He's not my dad anymore anyway. Whatever. I get to school and Justin hugs me. "You alright? You look down." I sigh. "My ex parents are trying to hunt me down again." He raises an eyebrow confused. "What?" Oh jeez. "Um well, the guy you met at my house Friday, is my adoptive dad. I'm adopted. He helped me after he found out I was being abused by my real parents." "Wow. I'm sorry that happened. I've got your back." I show him pictures of them. "They won't get to you while I'm around."

Jason's pov

Britt gets back from getting a dress for the wedding. "Kids still at school?" I nod. She smiles. "Good." She sits on my lap. I smile and hold her in my arms. "Baby, why do you have your gun with you again?" She gasps, caught off guard. I sigh and set it down on the table. "Precaution. Miranda's real dad called me and threatened me the other day." "Ugh. Stupid people don't ever give up." She says, lifting her hands to my hair. "Neither do dumb ol rednecks." I say, smiling. I kiss her gently. "I can't wait to get married." She whispers. "Me either." A thunderous knock on the door makes her jump and my hand instinctively grip tight to my pistol. I set her down on the chair I was sitting in. "Who's there?" "It's me, Mr. Aldean.... I was.... We were hanging out and this guy-" It's Justin. I swing the door open and pocket the pistol. "Ok slow down kid, tell me what happened!" He's crying. We were hanging out waiting for traffic to clear so I could drop her off here...." He takes a deep breath and wipes his eyes. "When some guy with a shotgun ripped open the door and threatened to kill me then he took her." My stare turns hard. Her dad. It had to be. "Britt, go to Luke's. Tell him what's up and stay there. He'll keep you safe just in case. And Justin, you go pick Sierra up for me from school then take her to Luke's." "What are you gonna do?" Brittany cries terrified. I turn around and kiss her hard. "I'm gonna go save our baby girl." She grabs my shirt. "Bring her home, Jay." I nod. "You can bet your hot little ass I will." I run to my truck.

Miranda's pov

I'm tougher now. I fought them off and didn't get put in that dreaded box. My ex dad storms in and slaps me in the face. "You won't break me." I whisper. He grabs my shirt and yanks me up to where I'm dangling. "Hey moron, told you you'd never get away." He growls. I spit in his face. "Fuck you." I growl. I hear a gunshot. My dad's eyes go wide and blood drips from the wound in his head. He lets go of me then collapses to his knees dead. "Strike three you're out fucker." Dad growls making me smile as tears finally come to my eyes. I shakily stand up and run over and hug him. "Where's my ex mom?" I shakily ask, looking around. "I don't hurt women but trust me if I did that bitch would be dead too." He says furious. I hear her cussing as cops drag her out. "Let's go home princess." I nod and cling to him. The cops try to ask me questions but dad won't let them. We go back home and Britt, Justin, Sierra, and Luke come over. Justin hugs me tight. "I was so scared.'' He whispers. I hug him back. "I'm alright." He smiles and kisses me hard.

Jason's pov

Well that's odd. Seeing my little girl kissing a boy. Ugh. Growing up sucks! Brittany hugs me. "You did good baby." She says, making me smile. "I know." She laughs and we share a kiss.