Chapter 8

Jason's pov

So all this time, she's been telling the truth! She wasn't going crazy. She really was seeing her. I walk into Sierra's room. "Hey honey." She looks up. "Leave me alone." I sigh and sit down. "Darlin' I'm sorry I didn't believe you. I believe ya now." "Mama says to get rid of the girl. I hate her." "You didn't hate her the other day when you guys were playing Frisbee." She just crosses her arms and looks away. "Mama wouldn't tell you that. Come on." She still won't talk to me.

Miranda's pov

I was in the living room pondering over everything. If I never started the walk to Nashville, I never would've met Jason and been adopted. My life would've still been terrible. I was dozing off on the couch when dad sat beside me then seconds later, Sierra. "You two need to start getting along and stop fighting. I can't take it anymore." "B-But dad I want us to but Sierra doesn't like me!" "I don't care. Do what you have to do to figure this out and become friends cause I'm not gonna listen to y'all both fighting anymore." I slump in my seat, trying not to get upset. I didn't do anything! She just hates me. He got up and a few seconds later so did she. I hear them talking though. "No you stay there and work this out." "But dad!" She whines. I stare at my lap, trying to hide the tears.

Jason's pov

The door slams open and I look up, caught off guard. Her parents. Crap. "What? How did you find out where I lived?" "It doesn't matter! Give us back our daughter!" Her dad yells. "No she's my daughter now. Your rights were terminated!" Sierra grabs my hand. "Let them take her! We can go back to the way things were!" "No way I'm not gonna-" My eyes go wide in surprise seeing Jess. "B-But how?" She shrugs. "I don't know how but Sierra's right. Let her go. Let it go back to the way things were before!" What?! That's crazy!! "No. I can't do that." I hear the click of a gun and Miranda scream. I turn around, drawing my pistol instantly. "Drop it now." I growl. "I don't care what some dumb judge says, she's my daughter. You're gonna let her go." "No I'm not. She's my daughter now. You didn't take care of her right." He points the gun at me and pulls her off the couch. "Dammit let her go!" I yell angrily. "No dad let her go. She doesn't belong here!" I stare at my daughter shocked. Why does she hate her so much!? While I'm distracted, I hear his gun go off and I've been shot. Just like Jessica.

~flashback~

We were walking home from a date when a guy with a gun jumped us. I shakily pull her behind me. "We don't want no trouble!" I gasp, putting a hand in my pocket, pretending to get my wallet. But in realism I was getting my switchblade but the jackass caught on and shoved me back. I accidentally stabbed my hand when I fell against the wall. He grabs her arm. "You made a mistake." "No! Let her go!" I gasp, shoving off the wall and running for her. "Take care of Sierra." Jessica says right before he shoots her in the head. I fall to my knees in horror and shock. I pick her up. "Baby?! Wake up!!" I cry, holding onto her. He puts the gun to my head. But what about Sierra?! I promised Jessica I'd take care of her! Rage fills me and I steal the gun, whipping it around and shooting the would be robber. Ever since that day, I lost my wife and gained some smarts. Always keep a gun with me.

~flashback over~

I got shot in the shoulder, I feel my legs buckle. I grip the couch, keeping hard my will to stay awake.

Miranda's pov

I'm frozen in shock and horror. "Daddy!!" Sierra screams, falling beside him. He waves the pistol and stands back up. "Come here." He says to me. I shakily glance at my parents. My dad's rage filled eyes, my mom's unforgiving stare.

Jason's pov

"Sierra's right. I don't belong here." Oh no! "I'm sorry! I won't run away again, just leave them alone!" "You aren't going back with them. You're my little girl now and I'm gonna stop them." I lift my arm to shoot him with the pistol but my arm gives out from getting shot. I accidentally drop the gun. "Sierra get me that gun." She picks it up. "Give it to me." "No. This ends now." Oh no! She points it at Miranda but I quickly grab it from her. "Yeah this does end now." I look up when I hear Miranda scream. He grabbed her arm and put the gun to her head.

Miranda's pov

This is it. This is how I die. At least I'm not in the box. As long as I don't go back there. Dad swings the gun, smashing me in the cheek. I fall to the ground, my vision hazy. "No!" Sierra's dad runs over as I fall unconscious.

*later*

I wake up and it's dark. "Daddy?" I whisper, confused. But I'm not still in Nashville. My chest seizes as when I realize why it's so dark. I'm in the box!!!