I

2 months later...

*RIIIING*

"Bella, can you get the phone? I'm just breastfeeding Ven."

Ven is short for Bonavento, and he's a gem of a pamunkin of seven months. You can probably guess that we are half Italian and half Filipino. Sorry, pamunkin means nephew in the Filipino dialect.

"Hello?" I didn't know what to expect on the phone but this was not what I expected.

"Alessa? It that you? It's Desidero."

Oh my goodness. Desidero is the mafia boss.

"Um no, it's her sister but I'll take the message."

"Alright Isabella," how did he know my name? I guess he has my family history considering its the same mafia group that my father was in.

"Alessandro isn't working efficiently. I'm making him resign from his post. My boys are still going to protect you but unfortunately due to his lack of commitment, I will have to cut financial ties with your family."

"What?! Please Desidero, you can't!! I already stay at home not doing anything because you are giving us protection and money. I'm not going to be able to do the online courses!! Please!!"

"I'm sorry Isabella! There's nothing I can do!!"

His voice was husky and when he snapped, he was growling. Now I understood how much intimidation he had to be the capa famiglia. He breathed heavily in frustration.

"How about this?"

~

It was a very stupid idea but it was something that could help me. Not only me but my family; my sister, my brother-in-law and my nephew. My only family.

"Isabella? Is that you still? Are you an idiot?"

"Desidero, you need to understand how much I sacrificed for my family and I will continue to sacrifice anything and everything of mine. Even my life. You don't have a fucking choice in fact! So grow some fucking balls and let me take his place!"

There was silence. Not only on the phone but in the house. The silence was disturbed by my sister's snoring.

"I'll be sending Alessandro back in an hour. Someone will pick you up at midnight. Just bring the essentials. Nothing overdone."

*beeep*

What have I done. Did I just join the mafia?

~

"Alessandro! What are you doing back so early??"

Alessa ran up to her husband, my brother-in-law, along with Ven. They give the most loving kiss. I usually gag at this moment but Alessandro always arrives late when we are all asleep. He sleeps in my room since I comfort Alessa and Ven to sleep, but when he arrives home he gives them both kisses on the forehead and it always gives me a warm feeling in my heart but also gives me pain that he isn't able to spend time with his family. Now it's my turn to protect this family.

"Desidero made me resign. He wants me to spend more time and take care of you guys. Don't worry about the money and protection though because he said it'll be continued for some reason."

Alessandro went silent and glanced at me. He knows. Shit.

"It doesn't matter," Kissing Ven on the forehead when he starts laughing and cooing, "I am here forever."

I smiled. My sister was overjoyed. I grabbed Ven from Alessa and rocked him to sleep, leaving Alessa and Alessandro having alone time. Putting Ven in the crib, Alessa comes upstairs heading to bed and passed out.