𝔸𝕗𝕥𝕖𝕣

_________________________________

April had never experienced a rush of emotions until now. Just a few hours ago April, her brother and even her mother were sitting around the dinner table as a family, even though one member of their family was missing, eating a Chinese takeaway that April had just bought.
They were halfway through talking about how they were going to celebrate April's birthday that was coming up soon until Shane bursted through their house with panic washed over his face.

In a matter of hours, Shane had told the Grimes family that Rick didn't make it. And to make matters worse, he told them to quickly pack up their belongings and get into his car as quickly as possible.

Of course, no one knew what Shane was talking about but still nevertheless complied with his orders as they were filled with sadness, grief and fear all at once. Shane had kept muttering about a virus that had spiralled out of control.

April knew what Shane was talking about as she had seen some news reports on Tv about the virus that had plagued over every scientific lab and the mindless gossip at school saying it was getting worse. April had dismissed the story as some conspiracy theory and told her brother there was nothing to worry about.

But now she wasn't so sure. Her mom and Shane were at the front seats of his car whilst herself and her brother were at the back with all there belongings that they managed to get quickly, stored in with them.

April had managed to collect as many photographs that her mother told her to get as well as the bracelet her dad got her for her 8th birthday. Each year, her dad would get her different charms to add onto the bracelet.

When April turned 16 she had stopped wearing it. She told her dad that she wasn't a little girl anymore and started to wear rings and makeup instead, much to her fathers dismay.

April had only started to let the fear creep onto her when she had a sudden feeling that they weren't going back to their house any time soon. But she hoped that her mom and Shane would say that everything was alright and that her father was alive, and that everything would go back to normal.

But April was wrong.

Her father was dead. And they weren't ever going back to their house. April hadn't properly been able to grieve for her dead father yet. Neither of the Grimes family did. They were all cooped up in Shane's car heading towards the city of Atlanta.

A few minutes had passed until the car slowed down into a traffic jam that had taken upon the highway. It seemed like everyone else had the same idea as them to go into the city to look for answers and find safety, even though no one knew what was going on. April took her brothers hand in her hers not knowing what to do but she knew that her brother would most likely be frightened like herself.