[6]

_________________________________

A few moments had passed until Rick noticed April sitting on the grass away from everyone saying goodbye to Jim. Knowing this was taking a toll on the girl he walked over and sat down besides her.

"Hey, I got something for you." Rick told April, making the girl look up in confusion.

"It was supposed to be your birthday present. But after everything that has happened it's just a precaution, just in case...in case something happens." He told her before retrieving a small paper parcel with string attached to it from his pocket and handing it over to the girl.

April took the parcel from him and began to unwrap it. April couldn't believe her eyes when she laid her eyes on the present. There in her hands, was a small silver charm shaped into a heart.

"It's supposed to be for your collection to the bracelet I gave you. I thought you stopped wearing it but after I woke up from the coma and saw that it was gone, I knew you, Carl and your mom were alive." Rick told her smiling.

"Dad, I've never stopped wearing it since we left. I-It's beautiful." April whispered to him, a few tears escaping her eyes.

"Thank you." April says to her dad before reaching over to him and wrapping her arms around him to give her father a hug.

"It's okay sweetie. When I was in Atlanta with the group before I found all of you, we went over to a store and I found Andrea picking something for Amy. It had reminded me of you so I knew I had to get something. I know it's not that great."

"No dad. It's...perfect." April tells him truthfully before looking up and smiling at Rick. Rick grabbed the charm from her and put it on the bracelet that was on her wrist. April currently now had 10 different charms on her bracelet, all of them counting up from her 8th birthday.

"But, you could of given it to me later you know. Since nothing is going to happen to us. We're not going to be split apart again right?" April questioned her father.

Rick looked at April and sighed. He saw the hope in her eyes. He knew that she wanted to be positivistic about the situation.

"Of course not. I'll do everything in my power to protect all of you. I'll never leave again."

"Promise?" April asked him.

"Promise." Rick said definitely to his daughter. But inside knowing that he had just lied to her. He couldn't keep his promise. Not in the world that they were now in. But he knew that he would try the best he could to keep it.

"Come on, lets head off before it gets dark." Rick had said before standing up and reaching his hand over to his daughter so April could take it.

April let her dad pull her up before they started to walk back to the car. Everyone had gotten into their vehicles now and they all started to drive off, waving to Jim as they left him behind.

It had now been a while since the group set off again on the road to the CDC. No one bothered to converse in any conversation this time as everyone was saddened about Jim, so they all sat in silence.

Another few minutes had passed until Rick started to slow their car down once they reached a massive building.

April looked out the window and grimaced. There were dead bodies everywhere which had taken up most of the road to the entrance of the building.
April grabbed Sage's hand in comfort and Sage gripped hers back. Both of them not knowing what to think at the moment.

April didn't even realise that everyone had started to get out the car until Axel came round her side and opened the door nearest to her, extending his hand for her to take. A reassuring smile on his face.

April took his hand gratefully and made her way out of the car. She began following the group to the deserted building, Axel's hand on her back guiding her as he walked behind her protectively. Axel didn't take any notice of the walkers on the floor as his main priority was to keep April safe.

April walked over to her Mom and Carl whilst Axel went over with her Dad and the others to see if there was anyone inside to help them. All of them began to bang on the doors since no one answered their calls.

Lori pulled her children closer to her. No one knew what would happen if they weren't able to get into the CDC. This was their only hope to find answers before Axel would head off to the farm. This was their only chance.

Suddenly walkers started to appear, some off the ground after they heard the banging on the side of the building. April gripped her mom's hand even tighter before Daryl shot an arrow at a walker.

"You led us into a graveyard!" Daryl exclaims as he began to shoot at more walkers. Everyone had now gone into full panic mode as more walkers turned up, everyone shouting to leave as they did.

Axel had run over to April and grabbed her hand so they could leave and she was about to until she saw her Dad was still at the front, shouting to see if there was anyone in there.

"The camera....It moved!" Rick stated as he looked up at the security camera. By now more walkers had started to close in on the group and Axel had begun to try and move April again to follow him but she didn't budge. She was conflicted as her Dad wasn't making any moves to leave whilst everyone else was.

"Rick, it is dead, man. It's an automated device. It's gears, okay? Now come on. Man, just listen to me. Look around this place. It's dead, okay? You need to let it go, Rick." Shane shouted at Rick trying to make him leave but he wouldn't listen to him.

"Dad!" April had sobbed out to her father, the tears finally getting to her.

"April come on let's go!" Lori shouted at her daughter whilst also calling out to Rick, Axel also trying to get April to leave.

Rick looked back at his family with tears in his eyes. This was their only hope he thought. Sure they still had the farm to go back to but Rick needed answers. Everyone did. He didn't want to fail his family or the group, so this was the only way.

"Please, we're desperate. Please help us. We have women, children, no food, hardly any gas left. Please help us. You're killing us! You're killing us!" Rick shouted up at the camera, knowing for sure that someone was at the other end of the camera.

"Come on. We need to go." Axel firmly told April as he held her hand tightly. April looked up at him and nodded. No one would help them now. The plan had failed.

The group had begun to turn the other way until they heard a loud noise sounding from behind them.

The doors to the CDC had begun to open itself, the light almost blinding the group as it did when they turned around.

Someone had opened the door.