Betrayal

"Prince Ali left." Jafar said, as I snapped back. "You better check that crystal ball again, Jafar."

"Tell them the truth Jafar, You tried to have me and my brother killed!" Aladdin accused Jafar. "What?" Jafar feigned innocence. I was standing by Aladdin's side who was angry as well.

"Yes, it's true! He had the guards gag me and throw me into the ocean!"

Jafar scoffed, and stepped away from me and over towards the Sultan. "Ridiculous nonsense, your highness. He is obviously lying." I gave Jafar a look of disbelief. He honestly didn't give a flying fart about us! He put the staff in the Sultan's face in order to hypnotize him deeper.

"Obviously...lying." the Sultan repeated Jafar's last statement in a very monotone voice. I looked at the staff, and  managed to sneak a peak at Aladdin and I noticed that he was looking at the staff as well.

"Father, what's wrong with you?" asked Jasmine worriedly as she ran over and put her hands on her father's shoulders. "I know what's wrong!" exclaimed Aladdin. With that he yanked the staff out of Jafar's hands and smashed it on the ground. There was a large flash and red smoke swirled out of the now broken staff.

"Oh my!" said the Sultan as he shook himself out of the hypnotized state. "Your highness, Jafar's been controlling you with this!" "It's true." I said.

"What? Jafar? You...you traitor!" The Sultan, was mad.

"Your majesty, all of this can be explained." Jafar was trying to save himself. We would have none of it. all four of us started advancing on him. "Guards! Guards!" the Sultan called.

"Arrest Jafar at once!" They grabbed him and started pulling him backwards. Jafar then pulled out a small vial. "This is not done yet, boys!" Jafar threw the vial on the ground and a large puff of red smoke flew out and surrounded all of us. I seriously could not see one inch in front of me. When the smoke cleared, all the guards were holding was each other. The broke away from each other and the Sultan cried out: "Find him! Search everywhere!"

Aladdin walked over and took Jasmine's hand. "Jasmine, are you all right?"

"Yes, I'm fine." Jasmine replied. They leaned into kiss, but were interrupted by the Sultan. "Jafar, my most trusted counselor, plotting against me all this time. Just horrible."

"Your telling me." I muttered.  The Sultan was to busy worrying to notice her antics. "How will I ever..." he paused as he saw Aladdin holding Jasmine's hand. "Can it be true? My daughter has finally chosen a suitor?" Jasmine nodded enthusiastically. 

"Praise Allah! You brilliant boy!" The Sultan ran over and took Aladdin's hand. "I could kiss you! I won't, of course. I'll leave that to my--." He cut off his rant and got down to business. "You two will be wed at once! Yes, yes. And you'll be happy and prosperous." Then he moved over to me.

"And, of course, your brother will stay here with you in the royal palace, yes!" He shook my hands and smiled widely at me. Then, the Sultan moved back over to Aladdin. "And then my boy, you will be sultan!"

"Sultan?" asked Aladdin, excitedly. "Yes, a fine upstanding youth like yourself, a person of your unimpeachable moral character is exactly what this kingdom needs!" As the Sultan completed his impromptu speech, Jasmine snuggled closely into Aladdin's arms and I watched Aladdin's face. The joy and happiness had now given way to anxiousness and fear. I read his face perfectly. 'I can't do this.'

This is going to be rougher than I thought.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a good sleep that night, despite my worry over Aladdin. I mean, I love my brother and everything, but this was the first time in over a year that we were able to sleep on something more comfy than the ground and some rags. Of course we were going to sleep like babies! But the next morning, all our fears came rushing back to us.