Quite Talk

(Besnik Pov)

I adjusted the strap of the bag across my shoulder as I made my way down the many twists and turns of the palace hallways. Man, who could've guessed that scrolls weighed so much? Yes, that's right. Scrolls.

When I'm not talking with Jasmine, playing with Carpet or Rajah, and/or covering for Aladdin, one could usually find me in the palace library.

After a few weeks in the palace, I had already become great friends with Husam, the palace blacksmith and weapons maker, and formed a bond with Halimah, the head seamstress.

I wanted to read more. I was getting bored sitting in the palace all day, so doing things was the other option. I sometimes went to the market place...but it just wasn't the same.

I expressed my feelings to Halimah one day.

She raised a brow at me and said, "What is it, Talibah?" 'Talibah' was her name for me. I think it means 'seeker of truth', but I'm not quite sure. "Sewing all day not good enough for you anymore?"

At first I was mortified and thought that I had insulted her. But then she started laughing (at my face, probably) and took my hand. "Come, child. I think I know a place that you would like."

She led me by the hand down the hallways of the palace and stopped at a pair of wide double doors. "Well, don't just stand there. Open it!"

I pulled one door open and almost passed out. Scrolls upon scrolls were lined in huge shelves all around me. Cushions dotted the floor with low desks, blank scrolls, and ink bottles scattered on them

"What is this place?" I asked to no one in particular. "It's the palace library. It contains the archives and histories of Agrabah, along with foreign and local tales that have had the fortune to be written down."

"Am I allowed in here?" I asked in disbelief. "Of course!" Halimah laughed. "Anyone in the palace that can read is granted access to this room. All secret files are kept in the Sultan's personal study."

I nodded but still refused to move from my spot just inside the room. Halimah laughed at me again and gave me a light shove. "Well, go on then Talibah. Go read, write, whatever you will. Feel free to take anything to your room, too. As long as it doesn't leave the palace and makes it back here by morning, I'm sure no one will mind." And with that she waved at me and left me to my devices.

I've visited countless of times since. It's good for passing the time when Aladdin and Jasmine are cuddling and when everyone else is busy. It also helped pass lonely nights. And it looks like I'll be spending another lonely night with those 'dusty old books'.

I finally reached my destination and started up at beautiful double doors. Reaching out, I took one of the knobs in my hand and pulled, successfully opening the door. But what met my eyes was not the normal sight.

"Sultan?!" I asked, surprised. Sure enough, there was the Sultan, turban off and a scroll spread out in front of him. He looked up at me and eyed my bag.

"I had wandered where some of my epic poems had wandered off too." I blushed at my getting caught. The tension was soon cut as he patted the cushion beside him, an invitation for me to sit.

"Now, why my dear are you up so late?" he asked me. I smiled lightly at him. "I could ask the same of you."

"Oh." The Sultan sighed wirily and wiped his brow.

"Well... this whole business with Iago has upset me greatly...and I don't keep much relaxed reading in my study, you know..." he trailed off. I nodded in understanding. He was here for the same thing I was, clarity, peace and above all, relaxation.

"You know, your highness...Aladdin honestly didn't mean to cause any trouble tonight, with Iago."

"I understand that, Besnik," the Sultan answered, "but what I don't understand is how Aladdin could see GOOD in that parrot."

I took his hand. "With all due respect, Highness...you don't know the whole story." He looked at me curiously. "Do tell." I sighed. I was breaking the sibling bond of secrecy, but in this case, the ends justified the means.

"Iago saved Aladdin's life in the market place this morning." I waited for the initial shock to wear off before I continued. "Aladdin was assaulted by some thieves and Iago was there. He dropped something heavy on their heads and made it possible for Aladdin to get away."

Not the whole truth, but it'll work. "Well, this is something to consider. Thank you for sharing this with me, Besnik." The Sultan stood to leave and I stood with him.

"Sultan," I said, "I don't agree with my brother's methods...at all. But he did what he thought was right...Isn't that all we can ask of anybody?" Sultan paused with his brow furrowed. Then, he put on his turban.

"I suppose you are right, Besnik. While I will not budge on my opinion on Iago; you have certainly helped me consider Aladdin's point of view much clearer. I thank you for that." I bowed to him as he exited. He stopped at the door and turned back to me with a twinkle in his eye.

"Do take care of romance saga scroll you've been reading every week. It's my favorite."

And with that, he closed the door and left. I let out an exasperated breath and plopped on the cushion.

You're welcome, Al.