Cooling Down

Genie POV

I watched as Besnik left the room to confront the disgruntle princess. Poor kid; I was praying for him. I heard Aladdin sigh and I turned to him, eye brow raised.

"Some Grand Vizier I'm gonna make," he said, picking up his turban, "everyone's mad at me." I  hate seeing my friend so down. "Hey, Jasmine's just a little steamed." As I said that, I turned my head into a whistling tea pot. "She'll cool down." I then took my tea-pot-head off my shoulders and poured some tea into a cup, offering it to Al.

"Care for a cup?" I asked. Aladdin showed no response. "Uh, this isn't cheering you up at all, is it?" I stated, becoming a little downhearted. I tried to get Abu to take it. Abu pushed his and away, making a disgusted face.

"I don't get it, Genie." Aladdin said, obviously frustrated. "I try to do something good and it just...blows up in my face!" Through all of this I remained silent, thinking it was best to keep my mouth shut and my eyes and ears wide open.

With a final sigh, Aladdin sulked out of the room to the garden; head down, and looking miserable. When Aladdin was out of earshot, I sighed.

"That's the problem with doing the right thing," I said to Abu on my shoulder, "sometimes you do it by yourself."

Like hell he will. I started following the path Aladdin had taken out the door. I think I knew exactly where Al was headed.The fountains. That's where he does all his thinking. After a few minutes of eventless searching, I found him sitting at the edge of a pool; knees up to his chest, head down on his knees.

I took a seat next to him and he peaked out from his tucked away position. "I really messed up this time, Genie." he mumbled out to me.

"Yeah, you sure did." I said bluntly. "But don't worry about it Al. I'm sure Besnik's talking to Jasmine right now. He'll make things better. And even if he can't, Jasmine can't stay mad at you forever...as long as you don't lie anymore."

I sure hope he's having better luck with Jasmine than I'm having with Al.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I slipped into Jasmine's room as quietly as I could. She was, as I had expected, lying face down on her bed, crying her eyes out. I sat down in her vanity chair at the head of the bed. I knew she knew I was there; she just wasn't ready to talk to me. After about three minutes of her crying, she finally looked at me. Wiping her eyes, she said "How could you do that to me? You knew he was lying and you didn't say anything?"

She was hurt.

"Jasmine," I started, "I never meant to hurt you. It wasn't like I TOLD him to lie. I told him to do the exact opposite. You know how stubborn he can be. So when he decided to lie to you about Iago, I knew it was up to him to tell you the truth. Either that, or you would find out for yourself...Jasmine, it wasn't my secret to tell."

"But you still covered up for him." she said, sitting up on the bed. I got up from my place in the vanity chair and sat beside her.

"Yeah, because he's my brother. That's what you do for family. You cover for them...Even if you know you're doing the wrong thing. It's instinct." I placed a hand on her shoulder, causing her to look at me. "Jas, I'm sorry I kept this from you. Forgive me?"

She thought for a minute and nodded her head. "I forgive you. I don't think I was ever mad at YOU...Just mad at what you did...But I'm still angry with Aladdin..."

"Jasmine, try to understand where Aladdin's coming from. He was housing the servant of your father's greatest enemy. He thought if he told you, you would tell your father and then he would never be aloud to see you again." If it was possible, Jasmine looked even angrier.