Chapter 6

"So, why didn't you attend Beauxbatons Academy of Magic? Didntcha get in? " I asked curiously, interrupting Minnie an' Barty's romantic whispers. "Nah. I just wanted to get away from France. See beautiful Scotland, no? " she explained, flashing that brilliant smile o' hers as she spoke. "Aye! Scotland rules! " David McDonald, a perky Scottish boy who sat across us spoke up. Barty chuckled to himself. We were all chatting excitedly when I noticed Professor Dumbledore an' quickly shushed my chatty chums. "Whoa! He does look a bit like Santa, doesn't he? " Barty whispered, staring at the kind-looking Headmaster. What amazed me though was his booming, thunderous voice. It was deeper an' louder than the bearded giant's! I sorta felt safe having this man as Headmaster o' the school. Soon after he welcomed us to Hogwarts, the even kinder-looking lady sitting next to him, Professor McGonagall announced that we'd be sorted into our Houses. One after the other, the students stepped up to the stool where a curious-looking hat called the Sorting Hat was placed upon their heads. I stared in wonder as the Hat's mouth (yes. I'm not fibbin. It really did have a mouth!) moved up an' down, calling out the House name, before the students joined their respective Houses. "D'you think it bites? " Barty joked about the Hat's mouth, as his name was called out. "Just don't stick your hand in my mouth! " the Hat warned, overhearing him. The hall was filled with laughter an' Barty turned red with embarrassment. He hurriedly took a seat as the Hat was placed upon his head. I heard it mumble, "Hmmm...brilliant mind, knack for pickin up spells....Gryffindor or Slytherin? Slytherin could use a great mind such as yours, boy." "Slytherin, it is! " it finally uttered, after a great deal o' mumbling. Barty moved off to his new friends in Slytherin. Minnie's name was called out next an' I saw Barty pout as she was sorted into Hufflepuff. He'd hoped that she'd be sorted into Slytherin too, so he could spend more time with his recent crush! I hoped I'd get into Hufflepuff too along with her. But, I wasn't. Gryffindor for me! So, there we were....3 best friends in 3 different Houses.