Chapter 20

I walked through Godric's Hollow. It was a quiet, snowy place populated by Muggles an' wizards, but seldom any Death-Eaters. I wondered why Barty would choose to be surrounded by witches an' wizards- the very people who were out to get im! How would I find him? My doubts were cleared up when I saw movement at a window o' a nearby cottage. Minnie? I thought to myself, squinting at the face at the window an' instantly recognising her. I moved closer to the tiny cottage. It was half-hidden by greenery an' was well-hidden , since it resembled the rest o' the cottages with a picket fence an' a garden which looked like it was in dire need o' maintenance. I swung open the creaky gate, only to be welcomed by a ear-piercing, terrifying, soul-shattering shriek! Soon, I was surrounded by a wall o' whirling black smoke. A group o' sinister looking men an' women surrounded me. I shuddered as a lanky woman with scraggly hair stepped forward an' dug her wand into my neck, pinning me against a dead tree. "Who do we have here? Answer me! What is your name?! " she screamed, digging the wand further into my neck. I screamed in pain, before Barty interjected, running outta the cottage, apparently on hearin my scream. "Bellatrix! Let her go! She's a friend! " he yelled, emerging through the crowd, before pulling the crazy witch off me! "Hands off, Croutch! Just 'coz the Dark Lord trusts you doesn't mean I do! " she spat. "She means no harm. I trust her. " he whispered, keeping me close to himself an' away from her. "I don't! I'm keepin watch over her." Bellatrix warned, eyeing me suspiciously, before apparating away along with the others. "Paulie, what're you doin here? " he asked, surprised on seeing me. "Research on the rare plants here in Godric's Hollow. I'm a herbologist." I replied, thinking quickly. "What was that? " I asked, confused by the ear-piercing shriek. "Caterwauling Charm. Sorry about that. Protective measures. So, you stayin at a lodge or somethin? " he asked, whipping out his wand. I glanced at it with a frightened expression. "Relax! I'm only casting another Charm since you broke the previous one, you clumsy person! " he reassured with a smile, before putting it away. "Paulie? I'm so happy to see you here! Finally, a familiar,friendly face! " Minnie exclaimed, smiling at me from the doorway. She ran over an' hugged me as I smiled back. "Love, you've gotta get back inside. What did I tell ya? I warned you to stay in. It's dangerous out here." Barty interrupted, peering behind im nervously as he spoke. "Are you staying? " Minnie asked me, anxiously. "I don't wanna be a burden..." I began to reply. "You should stay." Barty interrupted, before leading us back to the house protectively.
"I'm pretty sure my friends haven't taken a liking to you yet. It's not their fault though. They're awfully suspicious about everyone. Till then, you'll stay with us. You'll be great company for Minnie as well. She feels lonely here." he explained, dusting off the furniture in the spare room. "Who were those people....these friends o' yours?" I asked, following im around the room. "They're on the run too. In hiding, like me. You've seen the news, I presume?" he enquired, before turning towards the fireplace in the room an' lighting it with a flick o' his wand. "They're callin you a Death-Eater." I answered. "They're lying!" he growled, losing his temper all o' a sudden , his eyes glowing like the angry flames. A fed up Barty sat on the edge o' the bed, gesturing to the empty space next to im, indicating he wanted to tell me somethin in confidence. "We're bein framed, Paulie. Hogwarts has termed us as Death-Eaters, simply because we practice a different kind of magic." he justified, once he'd calmed down slightly. "Paulie, you've known me for the longest time. D'you think I'm capable o' torturing anyone?" he asked, claspin my hand in his an' looking into my eyes innocently. I shrugged. "The correct answer's no. I wouldn't hurt a fly! " he assured, not awaiting my response. "But, Barty....Who would frame you? " I asked. "Who d'you think?!" he startled me with his response. He stood up with his back towards me, so I couldn't see his expression. Though, I knew it was one o' disdain an' I knew what would follow.