Chapter 22

"I know it's tough, but I'm doin this for us, love." I heard im whisper, as I passed by the living room the next mornin. He was kneelin in front o' her, claspin her hand in his, while lovingly tuckin a lock o' her hair that'd come loose behind her ear, while he spoke to her in a soothing ,assuring tone. "Barty, please don't. What if they arrest you an' send you to Azkaban? " she asked, tearfully. "I'd like to see em try! " he replied, chucklin softly to lighten the mood. "I've to make arrangements for a new safe haven for us. Besides, Paulie'll take care of ya till I'm back, kay? An' I trust her with my life." he comforted, noticing me watching from the doorway. He kissed her lightly on the forehead before leavin.
Later, we sat in the garden as I helped to tend to the withered plants. Barty had strictly warned us not to venture outta the cottage, but Minnie had insisted on it. She had a flair for flautin the rules! We toiled all day as we cleaned up the whole garden an' I planted Priphea flowers, Athelas an' Shimmerweed. I'd discovered these plants on my travels to Middle Earth an' other magical places an' carried the bulbs with me in my backpack. Soon, the garden looked good as new!
"Why don't you tell me more about your travels an' all the wondrous plants you've studied? " Minnie asked, as we sat on the window seat an' sipped on hot cocoa (though,I craved for butter beer! ). "You remember readin about the Tumtum tree in Lewis Carroll's Through the looking glass? " I asked. "Oui." she replied, glancing at me curiously. "Well, I found it! An' I found these trees called Trees o' Valinor. They were magic,ilumining trees!" I recounted, excitedly. "No way! " she exclaimed in wonder, listening intently to every word. "An' I think Barty would've loved Triffids. They're carnivorous plants that I stumbled upon. They possess these whip-like poisonous stings....Take care o' all yer enemies! The ultimate protective measure! " I recounted. "I know you think he's overprotective, but you'd be overprotective too if your life was in danger an' the people you once trusted were out to get you!" she retorted, hurt that I was pokin fun at Barty's safety measures. I realized she'd turned against Hogwarts as well! I decided to change the subject, turning my attention to the ring on her finger. "Are you an' Barty...? " I began to enquire. "Engaged." she replied, staring reminiscently at it. "It was when we lived in Hogsmeade. We were at Madam Puddifoot's when he popped the question. We had to escape soon after, since they found us. That was our last outing. Barty couldn't take any chances again." she replied. Suddenly, the door swung open, as a glum-looking Barty entered. "I had a tough time dodging those blasted Ministry officials. I tried my best to fight em off." he explained, panting as he spoke. "I'll try an' arrange for a safe haven tomorrow. Till then, I'm stayin in with my two fav girls! " he promised, before breaking into a toothy grin an' squeezin in between us on the window seat. He nudged at us teasingly an' almost knocked our drinks outta our hands! "You're such a child, Barty! " I teased, before messin up his already ruffled hair. "I know! " he boasted, shamelessly.  "Did ya see that bloody wonderland out there? Did ya do that, love? " he asked, turning towards Minnie an' gesturing to the garden. "We both did." she replied. They continued talkin about the garden, before he started whisperin sweet nothings into his fianceé's ear while she giggled. It brought back ol memories, but I wondered how long it'd last.