Chapter 16

I found im snoopin about my dorm, as I finished packin. "We're finally graduatin, eh? Full-fledged witches an' wizards!" I exclaimed, setting down my luggage. He had a somber look on his face. "Barty...what's the matter? " I asked,worryingly. "I've gotta tell ya somethin. Could we talk in your dorm?" he whispered. "Alright. C'mon in." I replied, leadin the way. He sat on the edge o' my bed, before pattin the empty space next to im,gesturing to me to sit beside im. "I've gotta come clean....about that day, Paulie. I...I.." he began, hesitantly. "Go on." I urged, clasping his warm hand in mine. "I was makin my way through the maze, when I heard it. The voice....in my head. I mean, I'd heard it before, in my dreams. It'd tell me all about these new spell books an' where I could find em. Quenchin' my thirst for spells, like it was preparin me to be the most powerful wizard or somethin! But, it'd always be a sorta whispery,hissy voice. That day, it started off all hissy an' grew louder an' louder, till it filled my head an' I couldn't take it no more! I screamed to get it outta my head, but it wouldn't!  An' then, an image invaded my head. A man....pale, bald....scary....wore a black robe an' he carried a wand..." he recollected. "A man? " I asked. "The man to whom the voice belonged to. He spoke to me. I felt his voice vibrating about in my head. He praised me. Said he needed wizards like me. Said he was waging a war against Hogwarts an' needed me to fight alongside him an' many others! I rejected his proposition, until...." Barty recounted, staring at the floor as he spoke. "Until...What? " I asked, urging him to tell me more. "Until, he promised that we would be powerful men. Promised me he'd help get rid o' my father! " he continued, his eyes lighting up at the thought o' killin his dad! "An' you agreed?" I asked, shocked by what I was hearin an' by the way in which his eyes lit up. He nodded,indicating no. I heaved a sigh o' relief, before he interrupted- "He said he'd be waitin for me when I was ready. At Borgin an' Burkes,tonight." Barty's expression as he spoke indicated that he was thinkin about it.  "Barty, why didn't you tell us earlier? " I asked, as I firmed my grip on his hand. "I knew you an' Dumbledore would try an' stop me. Put the idea outta my head, ya know? An' I didn't want that!" he replied, accusingly. "You're actually considering it?! " I cried out in disbelief, letting go of his hand an' moving away from im. "I'm finally gonna get rid of the man who called himself my father! The man who was never proud of me. The hardened,cold-hearted monster who never understood me! " Barty yelled, pacing the room as he spoke. The glowing fire in the fireplace highlighted the anger in his eyes an' his tone was one o' utter disdain towards the man who raised im. "Barty, listen to me. The man may have ignored you your whole life, but he's your dad! You are lucky to have a dad, unlike me! " I explained, pulling his face towards mine. "Do not make this about yourself!" he snapped. "I'm not! I'm simply askin you not to do it! Do not go to Borgin an' Burkes tonight! " I pleaded with my palms still resting firmly on each o' his cheeks. He turned his back on me. "What happens once you've killed im? Have you forgotten about the war against Hogwarts? Don't you see he's luring you in?! " I reminded. I received no response, as he stormed out. I followed im outside, but he'd disappeared!