One.

My parents stood outside with our two horses and a cart attached to them. The king didn't even bother to send anyone. I was a bit suspicious as I adjusted my cloak and followed them over to the cart.

My parents owned two large grey roan geldings who pulled the cart that they saved money for. My dad worked lumber which paid enough to keep a roof and the horses. I wouldn't say incredibly comfortable though. But not a peasant at least.

"Come on darling." Dad said as he helped me up with mom as I sat down adjusting my cloak.

Dad got into the front as mom got with him and flicked the reins of the horses sending them flying forward as I looked at the woods.

They were beautiful but I knew better to go in them. Going into the woods was practically offering yourself to the wolves especially with the full moon in a few days. The only time they showed was on the full moon to take the sacrifice the village left out.

Everyone was required to leave something for them. We were a small village, but it made us an easy target. We were lucky to be able to satisfy them.

The village left livestock for the wolves. There were two chickens, two pigs, three cows, and one rabbit. By the time morning had come all the livestock had been gone and eaten. The only thing that remained was blood on the stone steps.

I stared out the cart at the flowers woven through the woods. The woods seemed to grow in ways to lure people in. But even day was dangerous.

I rested in the cart watching everything go by as we entered the more populated part of the village. My dad had willingly taken our cottage by the woods as it was dirt cheap. Barely any coins because of the fear of the wolves.

The geldings trotted through the stone path and towards the grand house of the king. The king couldn't be away from the village as the only away place is the woods. Even he isn't stupid enough to test the wolves.

The king lived in a large brick and log house which had flowers all out in the front. He tried to appear rich but rich here is hard to achieve. Dad steered the horses up were a male servant stood.

The servant came up as dad pulled the geldings to a stop and got out. The servant waited for us to step out before he brought the geldings over and unhooked them and brought them to go eat and drink.

"The king is waiting inside." A female servant stepped over and guided us in.

I had never been this far into the village. Mother preferred for me to stay in the cabin away from everyone. I helped with the crops and feeding of the chickens. We had to make sure the chickens were laying and producing baby chicks in case we were picked for a sacrifice.

I followed my mom as we walked up into the house as the servant shut the door behind us. I held onto the ends of the red cloak my grandmother had sewn me before she had passed. She was the only crazy enough one to live in the woods.

I shook my head of those thoughts as I followed them throughout the doors. I thought of why the king would call us here.

Typically, he'd send a servant if he picked our family to deliver a sacrifice for the full moon which is tomorrow. So why had he called us here? I couldn't figure it out.

The female servant led us into the dining room which had a large table in it with it being underneath the rug of a bear skin. The one powerful thing he could have besides a few deer foolish enough to come to the village.

Sending a hunting party out into the woods would be asking for an attack. The wolves didn't like it when their prey is messed with. The only time we got to hunt deer is if a deer wanders into the village which is what the bear did.