Chapter 27

Chapter 27

There are many descriptions of death, and how it feels, looks, tastes, etc. A "dark tunnel, with light at the end", or perhaps even just pure darkness and the absence of everything. For me, the last one is more accurate. Nothing...I felt absolutely nothing, but an endless emptiness that surrounded me from all sides. There were no sounds, nothing that I could sense even in the slightest. I tried to call out to someone, but I didn't have the slightest recollection of who to call out to in that moment. I was fading...

"I'd do ANYTHING! Anything, but please...Please don't let her die." Finally something had broke through the void. There were faint mumblings around me and I could understand little of what was being spoken. The only voice I recognized was full of despair.

"....not going to make it. You knew this was....already made your choice, Blake." Another defeated voice mumbled.

"No! I never made the choice....not supposed to die! She wasn't supposed to be involved." Blake cried in outrage For some reason, the agony and sorrow in his voice pulled at my heart.

I wanted to reach out and do something, anything, that would get rid of his pain, but nothing in me would respond. My body was nothing...

***

Hours had passed since the incident, and Blake hadn't left her side since. She was in stable, but critical condition and Jason had warned him that could change at any given moment; that the chances of her dying far outweighed any other possibility. The stake that was used to wound her had missed all vital organs and arteries, except for her lungs.

Images of that moment flashed through his mind, and he squeezed his eyes shut and ran a hand over his face, trying to erase them. The complete devastation on her face, when he had said the things he did, and then proceeded to figuratively drive the stake through her himself...The hurt in her expression when he had denied what she was to him, even though it was only to try and protect her...The sound of her scream, cutting off with a gurgling sound, and the pallor of her skin, as her body shut down...All of these things and more haunted him and he couldn't get rid of them, no matter how much he tried.

And now, all he could do was sit at her bedside, seeing the seemingly empty shell that she now was. Her breathing was shallow and slow, and an oxygen mask covered half of her face. Her skin was, as cliche as it is to say this, as white as snow could possibly be, and her lips lacked any color. Even her hair lacked its usual radiance. Nothing about her would represent the beautiful woman she was to him. He would do anything to be able to see the stubborn set of her mouth, or that spark that would light her lovely eyes, when she'd defy him, or that rare smile that would lighten up all of her features. The mere idea that any of that could be lost forever, ended abruptly because of his mistakes...It hurt him more than anything ever had.

Reaching out, he ran his fingers through her hair gently, and caressed the visible part of her face. His eyes darkened more and he winced internally at how cold she felt. Grasping her hand tightly, he lowered his head and his breathing grew heavier. The urge to cry was growing increasingly hard for him to ignore.

"Jasmine.." He mumbled."I'm sorry. Sorry for everything, going back to the moment I first met you, and even before that...If I had known what you would be to me..." He cut off, exhaling sharply as a sob escaped his throat. "I don't want you to die. You deserve more than that..." He was unable to speak anymore, so he buried his face into the bed beside her. No amount of crying that he did that night did anything to lessen the guilt and pain of what he had caused.

***

Sounds filtered in through my conscious, and for the first time, I was able to hear things more clearly. I didn't have to open my eyes to know where I was, for I had been here before. Opening my eyes, I winced and shut them to block out the light, before trying again, blinking multiple times until my eyes adjusted. A dull ache was centered in my chest, and side and I could feel something that irritated my nose.