■ Awkward

As I walked out with my bags, I saw Jared explaining something to his friends. They were chuckling and grinning while Jared looked flushed. He was waving his hands and speaking away. As soon as the boys saw me, they elbowed him and wiggled their eyebrows, clearly enjoying their own private jokes. Jared rolled his eyes and walked towards me.

"All good?" He asked gently.

I nodded, "I gotta go, Jared."

"No. First lunch," He said, shaking his head.

"Mom's cooking lunch. Can't escape at all. Sorry," I wanted to run away now.

I need to clear my head. I needed to make sure this won't happen again. As much as I loved having Jared around, he still thought I was Alice. I was still lying to him. Matters were still very much complicated.

Added to that, I had a bad feeling. Something was prickling inside me since I came out of the dressing room. It felt Alice was in some kind of pain. The feeling was disturbing to say the least.

"What? But-"

"Bye Jared. Bye guys. Bye Hailey," I said.

"Okay. Let me at least drop you," He persisted, looking crestfallen at my sudden change in attitude.

"No. I have my car. Gotta go. Bye," I said and walked away, shaking my head.

"Wait!"

I clicked my tongue in frustration as he came in front of me.

"What now?" I snapped a bit too loudly.

He seemed taken aback by my rude attitude, "Hey, listen Alice. I understand that things back there wasn't what you wanted but..."

"But what? Let's forget about it, okay? I'll make sure it doesn't happen again," I said firmly.

He looked disappointed as he gulped and nodded, "Okay. As you wish."

"I am sorry for snapping but I couldn't help it. I am sorry for calling you in. I shouldn't have done that."

He nodded vigorously again, "Of course. As always, I try to understand."

Poor boy looked so down that I wanted to hug him. I wanted to engulf him in my arms and pat his head while showering gentle pecks on his forehead on my tiptoes. Resisting the urge, I gently patted his shoulder, "Please Jared. I have my reasons."

"Which you can't tell me."

"Which I can't tell you," I agreed, "When the right time comes, I will. I promise."

"When will that be?"

"Soon."

《》《》

"I'm home," I said loudly, as I put down the heavy shopping bags. Usually, during this time, Alice would be here yet she didn't respond as I entered.

Maybe she was out. Maybe I had been feeling wrong.

I walked to my room to change my clothes, when I heard sniffling from Alice's room which was opposite to mine. Immediately, my concerned sister antennas shot up. I knew I was right. The twin telepathy never lied.

"Alice?" I ran over towards her room and knocked on the door.

"Go away, Allison!" She shouted, "I am not in the mood to talk."

Shit, she usually called me Alli or moron. Allison meant serious.

"Alice. Are you alright?" I said and opened the door this time, not bothering to knock anymore.

She wasn't alright.

She was on the floor, crying and wiping her nose. Her whole makeup was smeared. Her hair looked like a crow's nest as she sniffed on a tissue, blowing her nose.

"Oh no. What happened?" I rushed towards her and wrapped my arms around her. She nuzzled her head on the crook of my neck and fresh tears started pouring from her eyes. I felt my t-shirt getting wet as she shivered.

"I met T-Trevor today," She sniffed.

Oh no.

"What did he say?"

"He came and ap-apologised. He told me the things which you said that day. Things got heated and I ran back after slapping him," She sobbed, "All the pent up anger burst out as I couldn't take it anymore. The bad memories were triggered."

I rubbed her back.

"Then its done. No need of crying, Al. Its over."

"That's not the point," She croaked.

"Then?"

"The thing is, Allison... I realized I s-still love him. A lot, for that matter. These two years didn't seem to make him go away," Her voice broke on the last word.

"What?" I inhaled.

"Yes. I love him. He is still there somewhere. I never stopped l-loving him. But... but I won't give him the right to trample over my heart again. I am not going back to him. I am not ready for him. I can't risk another heartbreak," She sniffled, "I don't know what to do. I was alright until he came and messed it up again. I am so confused now."

"Its okay. Hush. Its okay. Don't stress out. Its your choice. If you don't want it, don't go back," I said, rubbing her back like mom did to me when we got sick.

"That bastard said he loves me. I know he doesn't. He was hating me until a week ago and suddenly he loves me? Utter crap. He is lying and toying with my emotions again. He just wants to fuck me up all over again," Again, she started crying.

"Al, if Trevor loves you he will fight for you. You need to forget the past and move on. Now its your choice whether you wanna do it alone or with him. I know you will take the right decision," I said.

She didn't reply.

"I am making lunch for us. Think about it. Take a shower. Don't have to take a decision now," I said, caressing her hair, "There is no hurry. I am with you for whatever choice you take."

"Thanks, Alli. You are a good sister," She sniffed again, her nose all red and her eyes puffy.

"You are even better than me. I love you, Al. No matter what happens."

Her lips wobbled, "Stop it. There is too much sugar now."

I laughed. She couldn't handle too much sweetness and she had an ego even bigger than mine (which is saying something) but I knew that girl over there, my sister, I would die for her anyday. Maybe it was just a biological thing but Alice meant the world to me. Fighting or not, talking or not, she would always be my most loved one.

I took out clothes for her as she got up. She nodded and walked away to the washroom. I went down for preparing lunch. Mom and dad were outside now, so it was Alice and me now.

"Lets see what we have here," I said, opening the fridge.