■ Rookie point

"When did you discover this place?" I asked.

We were at the same spot where we could see the entire city. This had become my favorite place very soon. I had came here already three times with Jared and I loved it. There was a certain serenity and calmness that this place gave along with a heightened privacy. He had showed me the small crosses he had made at the base of the trunks to avoid getting lost and showed me how to locate the road outside if I ever came here alone someday.

"Three years ago. I had a fight with my parents and I ran away. And came stumbling here," Jared replied.

We had again made plans to hang out the entire day. I used to love these days. In fact, I felt disappointed if I didn't meet or text Jared for a day. I had become so used to him that it was kind of hard not to think of a moment where there wasn't Jared Grey involved.

We shared memes, poor jokes, movie recommendations. Jared had a good taste in movies. Thanks to him, I watched good underrated movies online and got some really good books to read. He even let me borrow his books from his personal library. We tried out some bakeries and cafés in the city, though not the one where we initially met. Time wasn't important when I was with him. It passed by in a whim and I was always found myself longing for the next weekend.

Usually we met at weekends and those days were the best. We had school and Mom didn't allow me to go outside much during school nights and neither did Jared's mom. Plus, I had homework and the pressure of academics as I was soon going to graduate from high school. The months were going too fast and before I knew, Hailey's wedding date had appeared close. Trevor left after speaking with Alice that day but she had changed again.

She had grown quieter. Plus, she broke up with Frank and kept herself holed in her room. We spoke normally but she never answered me when I asked her about him. I had a weird feeling that Trevor was contacting her during this time but I didn't ask further. At times, she was normal, sometimes she was smiling but sometimes she was looking sour.

However, Jared and I grew closer than before. It was safe to say that we still remained in that weird zone where we knew what we wanted but didn't say. Actually, he was quite open about it and rarely, he asked me out but I shrugged it off or changed the topic. It didn't seem to deter him. He was still comfortable and made every moment with me count.

We didn't go to entertainment places. We went bowling once and some eateries here and there but otherwise, we used to come over here at Rookie Point. If we didn't spend our weekends together, we video called each other and spoke through text messages.

Everyone by now thought we were dating, even my parents had an inkling but never confronted me directly over it. My dad made jokes but often said seriously to watch out for teenage boys but he liked Jared nevertheless. Yet, I still hadn't told him the truth. The few days that I had thought in mind turned into months and I had made no moves to tell him the truth.

Yes, I was a selfish person. No need to say.

"As much as I love coming here and enjoy watching movies online at home, I want to go to the movies with you someday. With a full popcorn and drinks experience," Jared announced.

"Sure. I don't mind. We will choose a movie we both agree upon, though. I know you like action movies but I prefer thrillers."

"I know. We will mutually decide and then go on a date-"

"Not a date," I held a hand.

He rolled his eyes, "Why not?"

"Because it would feel as if we were a couple."

"And the late night text messages, video calls, skating rink, bowling and all these visits to Rookie point are being just friends?"

"Yes," I gave a nod, "Friends can do that."