■ Messaging V

Half an hour later, I was done with the cutting and dicing. As I started putting the vegetables in the pot for boiling, my phone buzzed. Wiping my hands, I picked up the phone to see Jared had messaged.

Jared: Hey, hope you reached safely.

Me: I did. Thanks for asking.

Jared: Um...so... all cool between us?

Me: Yeah. Why?

Jared: Nothing...its just that you ran away giving a cloudy explanation again and I know it had to do with the dressing room incident.

Me: Just forget about it. Leave it.

I gave the mixture a stir. Now it would take some time to cook. I sat down on the couch.

Jared: Yeah... forget about it.

Me: It was a mistake.

Jared: Not to me, Alice.

Me: Jared, not again. I already explained it to you.

Jared: Okay.

Me: You are my good friend. I don't wanna lose you.

Jared: Me neither. I thought maybe your feelings had finally changed...

Of course you idiot... I liked him a lot. My feelings had changed. It had. I couldn't just walk up to him and say I was pretending to be my sister. I could, but I didn't want to hurt him. I was being a very shallow person, I knew but insecurity did that to you.

All those proposals that I had rejected before from guys weren't because the they were awkward. It was because some wanted to get to Alice via me, some just wanted to sleep with me with no attachments and the some, I didn't have feelings for. However, the guys I did went for my sister.

It happened in middle school and while I was a sophomore. I had two serious crushes and no surprise, it turned out they liked Alice. Thankfully, those didn't last long. For once, I wanted a boy who didn't hang out with me just for getting Alice's number. One of them had even mentioned he would date me if I weren't so chubby and how Alice knew how to groom herself. I swear I stayed away from guys after that. Jared's crush was growing day by day and I didn't want to lose it. I had no doubt he would sought Alice if I told him the truth.

People gave you diplomatic answers about how personality mattered. Well, it came second after looks. My sister was the thinner, extrovert version of me and if people had chosen her before over me, they could still do it now. Jared was after all a teenager with raging hormones.

I wanted him to stay beside me for few more days before I had the guts to say anything. My insecurities and self confidence was at the lowest point. I couldn't turn back time and admit the truth and I was too chicken to say anything now when the lie was already so tangled.

Me: No. Please.

Jared: Why does it seem as if you are pushing me away even when you don't want to? Are you afraid of something??

Me: No. Its not that.

Jared: Have you got an illness?

Me: No.

Jared: Family problems?

Me: No.

Jared: Then why can't you give us a chance? What wrong have I done? I definitely know you feel something. You seem to enjoy my lame attempts at flirting too.

Me: I can't explain. Lets please be friends. Please. I beg of you. Its best for us.

Jared: I get it that you dufjkdtssfkofe4uibbsidhdbd

Me: ????

Jared: ufswyishhcjufsfjkjsisoen

Me: Okay, are you drunk? Or high?

My phone rang. Jared.

"Hey," I picked up, "You alright?"

"ALICE! YEAH, I AM....STOP IT KYLE! THAT WASN'T ME! THESE GUYS ARE IRRITATING ME! MY HANDS GOT PRESSED ON THE WRONG BUTTONS," He shouted.

"Oh, where are you?" I asked.

"In the restaurant. And- I WILL CASTRATE YOU ROSS, IF YOU DON'T STOP NOW. HAILEY, PLEASE CONTROL THEM! Very sorry about them. They are a bunch of jobless idiots," He sighed.

"I understand. I deal with Naomi sometimes too," I laughed.

"So, when are we meeting again?" He asked, panting for breath. I guess he was wrestling with the guys now.

"Ohh, lover boy can't wait to meet his gal, eh?" I heard Elliot singing.

"Shut the fuck up, Elliot!" Jared shouted.

"For fucks sake Jared, get a new and better comeback!" Ross screeched.

"Alice! Jared has gone totally mad! Please give him some medicines for his 'Alice-Marshall' Syndrome," Levi shouted.

I heard the guys shouting and wolf whistling, laughing their asses off at us.

Jared groaned loudly, "I don't know anyone of you. You guys are dead to me."

"You know what? I think you should chat with your friends now. I will speak to you later. Bye," I grinned.

"Yeah, I need to deal with them. Bye."

Before ending the call, I heard Jared shout, "YOU GUYS ARE SO DEAD!"

I was laughing so much at their conversations. God! I loved these guys. They had made my life more entertaining. I would probably not be in touch with them in the future but whatever time I had with them, I had enjoyed thoroughly. They too seemed to have adopted me into their circle and none of them seemed hostile.

But would they still like me when they knew I had lied badly to their friend? Obviously not.

Oh god, I was dead meat.