The Fall of SHIELD

It's been two days since my encounter with the strange assassin. My scrambling didn't work. They tried blowing Captain America up, as well as capturing him, but nothing has worked. I still refuse to believe anything they're saying about him.

Project INSIGHT is set to launch today. It's supposed to be a great project, launching three helicarriers, but after my encounter with the last one, I'm wary of anything to have to do with helicarriers.

"Ms. Brynn?" An agent comes up to me. "They're requesting you on Floor 52."

"Thank you." I say, nodding. "I'll be right up."

I jump in the nearest elevator. Something occurs to me as I punch in the floor number. Isn't floor 52 the control center?

A surprise waits for me as I open the door. Captain America is waiting for me. "So, you must be Rose." He says. "Natasha spoke highly of you." I kind of stand there in shock for a second before speaking.

"She does?" My voice comes out as a squeak. I cough. "I mean, yes, I am Rose."

"Good." Cap says. "I need your help."

"You do?" I ask, surprised.

"We don't have much time. I'm about to make an announcement, and I need you to send word to the other SHIELD facilities of what I say. Can you do that?" Captain America explains. I nod. "Why me?"

In his silence, I can tell the answer. Because it's the safest option and the worlds about to fall into chaos. Dread fills my heart.

Cap picks up the PA. "Attention all S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, this is Steve Rogers. You're heard a lot about me over the last few days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time to tell the truth. S.H.I.E.L.D. is not what we thought it was. It's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The S.T.R.I.K.E. and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want. Absolute control. They shot Nick Fury. And it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way. Unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot. But the price of freedom is high. It always has been. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." He says.

My first response is to blink in shock. "Cap?" I ask timidly when he's finished. "I thought Hydra was a myth."

He shakes his head. "Unfortunately not. Now, get that message out." He and the other man leave the control center.

I quickly sit down at one of the control computers and begin to send a video message to every SHIELD facility.

"Attention." I begin, nervous and trying to follow through with my task. "This is SHIELD Agent 16, Rose Brynn. Some of you know me, but I need everyone to listen to me right now.

"SHIELD has been compromised. We've just received word from Captain Steve Rogers himself. You heard of Nick Fury's death, and we now know who shot him. It was Hydra. They've been growing within our ranks since World War Two, and today they've decided to reveal themselves. Anyone of your fellow agents could be Hydra. Trust no one. If you are truly SHIELD, now is our time. The safety of the world is at stake, and unless we rid ourselves of the Hydra threat, the world will fall. You know what to do. Make the world safe again. Those people need you now." I finish the message, hoping it's enough.

Now fight. I pull out my gun and head to the planes. Hydra agents are everywhere. I take a few out, but mostly just try dodging bullets.

"We're the only air support Captain Rogers has!" I hear a pilot call out as we run towards the Quinn jets. I scramble into the control center of one, and quickly turn it up as an explosion booms behind me. Getting out of the seat, I jump up and turn around to see the metal man attacking planes. Seeing him head towards my plane, I quickly jump out.

"Get outta here, kid!" I hear one agent call. "We've got this! That's an order!" I reluctantly nod, and dash off the helicarrier.

I run all the way out of the Triskelion facility, and up the Potomac River towards a clearing of forest. I've got a good view of the helicarriers now. It's only marred by the smoke of explosions. I spot someone's parachute come flying open as they fall. I don't know exactly what will happen when the helicarriers reach a good altitude, but I suspect it will be bad.

The helicarriers have changed aim on their weapons systems. From what I can see, the guns now point at other helicarriers. All at once, they begin shooting at each other, and a helicarrier begins falling towards the river in a ball of fire. I spot someone falling fast. He hits the water and begins sinking. Another man jumps in after him, and I catch a glimpse of metal.

They both fell in not far from me. Thinking the first man is in trouble, I dive into the water. I'm only a few feet out before I notice someone has surfaced. It's the metal man, and he's carrying Steve Rogers. I immediately head back to shore for my gun. I grab it and quickly hide in the nearby brush.

The metal man just pulls Cap out of the water and leaves him on the banks of the river. I slip out of the brush. "Step away from the Captain." I say, trying to keep my nerves in check. The man simply moves away. He seems very on edge. "You're going to tell me something right now. You're going to answer my question. I don't care who you are, I don't care what you wanted from me those years ago. I want to know one simple thing. Are you Hydra?" I order, my hands shaking.

The man says three words before he disappears into the forest. "I don't know." What? That's not an answer. "How could you not know?" I yell after him, but I don't chase him.   I'm fresh out of energy.