Chapter 1 First Day

I woke up to the sound of Everybody Talks by Neon Trees blaring from my phone. I rolled over in my bed. Ugh. Why did I set a song I like as my alarm? I turned my alarm off and changed it to a song I didn't like as much. Then I got up and put on my glasses and got dressed in my school uniform. It consisted of a thin white long sleeve sweater and a baby blue skirt. Ugh. I hate this skirt. It's so short. I was tall for my age. I was 15 and I was already 5'9. So the skirt I was forced to buy had to be made longer for me but I still felt like it was too short. I hated skirts. Almost as much as I hated school. School never went well for me. Hi. I'm Madison. I'm antisocial and incredibly socially awkward. I don't have any friends because I just moved here. Oh no. I'm gonna be the new kid. Not again. This is gonna suck. I'm really bad with people so I doubt I'll make any friends. Yeah. This is definitely gonna suck.
I brushed my hair and my teeth. I pinned a strip of my hair back with a bobby pin so it wouldn't fall in my face. I didn't wear makeup except a little lipstick and some concealer so it saved me a lot of time in the morning. I walked downstairs and ate breakfast. Both my parents had already left for work. Of course. They're both workaholics so they're rarely ever home. It gets lonely being by myself all the time. I shake my head telling myself I shouldn't be thinking like that. Then I get up and grab my backpack making sure I have everything I push in my headphones and walk out the front door and lock it behind me. I put on Safety Pin by 5 Seconds Of Summer because I love that song and I start walking to school. I get to school 43 minutes early. I thought it would take me longer to get here. Oh well. Nothing's wrong with getting here early. I tried to walk in the front door. Locked. That's why everyone is outside. I walk around to the side of the school and sit down under a tree.  I dig through my backpack until I find my camera. I point my camera up and snap a picture of the tree above me. I take a picture of the fountain in front of the school. From this distance the water shines in the sunlight. It's a beautiful picture. I love photography. I take pictures of everything. Just then the bell rang. I put my camera back in my backpack and stand up. I walk inside the school. A girl with black hair passes me. She looks like she's panicking. I feel bad for her. I want to help her but I don't know anymore about what to do than she does. She walks towards a teacher who starts yelling about how she's a "socially awkward child." I feel even worse for her now. She's waving frantically and trying to tell him that it's even more awkward that he pointed that out about her. I look towards the lines of people. There are 3 lines. One says Sign In. The next says ID. And the last says Help. I walk towards the line that says Sign In and hope I'm in the right one.
10 minutes later:
I get a packet with my homeroom, locker number, and my schedule. I walk down a hall and then another hall and before I know it I'm lost. I sigh. I'm already 5 minutes late and I still can't find the room. Just as I'm about to give up I hear a voice behind me.
???: You okay?
I turned around to see a boy with light brown hair and blue eyes standing behind me.
For a few seconds I just stared at him surprised someone was actually talking to me.
I'm fine. I said quietly. I'm just lost.
???: Please don't tell me you're falling for my looks.
I stared at him. Who is this guy? More importantly where on earth did he get this much confidence?!
No I'm not. I said blankly then I turned and started walking down the hall.
He shrugged.
???: I have that effect on most girls in this school.
I turned back to face him.
Don't worry. You won't have that effect on me. I'm not like most girls.
???: Whatever you say. Freshman right? He said.
Yeah. I replied.
???: Didn't you get a school packet in the mail over the summer? They were sent out to all the local middle schoolers coming into high school. He  asked.
No. I just moved here. I said.
???: Oh. Well then. Let me see your schedule.
I handed him my schedule. He looked at it then told me to follow him.
???: Your class is nearby. Here I'll walk you there.
Okay. I said.
I followed him down a few halls paying attention to which way he went so I could get to my homeroom next time.
He stopped outside a door marked 202.
???: Here we are.
Have fun. I said. I started to walk in the door Then I stopped. Okay maybe I do need to work on my social skills.
I turned back to face the boy.
Okay. I'm antisocial and I rarely ever talk to anyone. I'm sorry if I was rude to you. I'm just not good at talking to people. I blurted out before I could chicken out of it. "And thank you for helping me find my homeroom."
???: No problem. And you'd get better at talking to people if you did it more often. He said.
I laughed. That's not as easy as you make it sound. I said.
???: How? He asked.
It's hard to talk to people when you're always alone. I said. Then I turned and walked into my homeroom. I told the teacher why I was late and sat down in my seat. Just then the black haired girl I had seen before spoke to me.
Hey. I'm Aphmau. She said.
I'm Madison. I said.
Oh and this is Travis. She said moving slightly so I could see a white haired boy with green eyes. I smiled at him.
Hey Travis. I'm Madison. I said.
N-nice to m-meet you. He said.
I smiled. He's shy. It's cute.
So do you want to be friends with us? Aphmau asked me.
Um...sure. I said.
Yay! She cheered.
I smiled and turned back to the front of the room. I've got Aphmau, Travis and that weird boy who walked me here. Maybe this year won't be so bad after all...