Chapter 14

So I made this cover myself, if you haven't already guessed the girl is supposed to be Chloe. This is EXACTLY the way I imagine her. PLEASE tell me what you think of the new cover!

Chapter 14 POV CHLOE

I barreled out through the arena gates straight into the chest of a very amused Alpha.

I glared up at his chuckling face. "You're a dead man." I seethed between my teeth.

"What? You thought I was going to actually let them fight you? You could have gotten hurt."

"I'm not a china doll!" I yelled at him.

"No, but you're my Luna. And Luna's shouldn't have to fight."

I growled at this. I was Beta of my pack, and the strongest female fighter, I would never let any of my other pack members carry a burden when I could carry it myself.

"You're lucky I'm even letting YOU fight THEM. The last guy in there got a beating just because you were angry with me."

"What was I supposed to do?! People are expecting a fight!" My tone turned sarcastic as I carried on..."Oh my gosh, lets go watch a Mating Tournament when the males don't fight and the female automatically wins. Sure."

Now it was his turn to growl. His amused expression turned angry and his eyes grew darker.

"It's one thing to mock me when we are alone, Chloe. But there are people around now. You're texting mine and my wolfs patience."

I narrowed my eyes. In his position I would react the same way, but I was too angry to apologize. We just stood there glaring at each other until I finally had to break the tension.

"I have another match today that I need to prepare for."

"You won't need to PREPARE for anything. Unless you needs to do some acting warmups."

"I'm not just going to lay around and do nothing if our pack gets in a war! I hope that's not what your planning on!"

"Say it again." He demanded, the smirk once again covering his features.

My anger suddenly halted, I became confused.

"Say what again?"

He leaned down towards my ear and whispered, "You called it OUR pack. Say it again."

I pushed him away and started shaking my head.

"Seriously? I'm leaving now."

He began laughing. Loudly, drawing attention from other wolves.

"Oh, Chloe! I love you too!" He reached for my arm and yanked me back towards him and crushed me against his chest.

I knew what he was up too, and I didn't like it one bit.

"I hate you." I whispered into his chest, knowing only he could hear.

"Then why can I smell your arousal, Chloe?" He whispered back into my ear, making me involuntarily shudder.

"Say it again, darling!" He continued shouting.

"I love you."

His eyes stared down into mine and he took my hand, easing me out of the crowds.

"I'll walk you to your next match. Which arena is it, kitten?"

"Arena 11."

My voice was monotone. My heart stood still. I couldn't breathe.

Cooper turned towards me as we walked out of the newly forming crowds hearing shot.

"What's wrong?" He asked, worried and confused.

"My whole life." I answered completely honest. Yet my honestly apparently didn't seem to come through, however, because he started chuckling once again.

"Oh, kitten, always such a downer."

We walked the rest if the way in silence, I think a part of him really realized that I wasn't in the mood to talk.

I had said I was in love with him to please the crowds, and it had scared me because I didn't want anyone to think it was actually true.

The scariest part though?

I was worried it actually was.

I was falling in love with the Alpha.

The one person who was keeping me from all I had ever wanted.

Once we got to Arena 11 Cooper said his goodbyes, he had a meeting with Jackson so he couldn't watch me pretend to beat another of his wolves. He could tell I was relieved, but I don't think he knew the real reason why.

Distance was the best thing I needed now, if I could just distance myself from him it would all go away. My conscious shook its head internally, we both knew that wasn't true.

But what else could I do? I still wanted to be Alpha more than I wanted to be with Cooper, at least, for now. If I could just fall for somebody else? No. Cooper would kill them. And nobody else should have to get dragged along into my problems.

I entered the gate to the Arena and saw yet another beefy looking wolf in the center. If I wasn't so distracted I would have noted what he looked like, but I just wanted to end this round and go lay in bed.

I might be in love, and that in itself was reading my heart. My old, col, stone heart.

"You won't actually fight me will you?"

The male shook his head.

"What if I paid you?"

Another shake.

"Sexual favors."

Shake.

"What did he also say you couldn't talk to me?!" I barked.

"Lets just get this over with, and not have an hour conversation." He finally spoke, with little to no enthusiasm in his voice.

"You know what? Fuck this shit. Just fuck it."

My opponents eyes got wide and I turned away from him and laid on the ground. If he didn't pin me, the judges would know something was up.

"What are you doing?!?" His voice was panicked.

"I'm done with not fighting fairly. So fight me or let everyone know you and Cooper are up to something."

"He'll kill me if I touch you."

"Well, be reassured fellow citizen, because he is going to kill me to. Or worse."

"How. Does. It. Get. Worse." He seethed.

"Worse off, he'll probably end up marking me." I sighed.

"Don't you want him?" He asked inching towards me.

"Under different circumstances, the answer would most likely be yes. But like this? No."

Suddenly a voice boomed from the announcers booth.

"CHLOE, ARE YOU FORFEITING TO THIS MALE?"

"No,"I shouted, "he just refuses to fight me."

"Judge! I choose to forfeit! I have no interest whatsoever in this female!" The man next to me boomed.

"IT APPEARS AS IF THE CONTESTANT, CHLOE, HAS WON. ROUND 3 IS COMPLETE."

I stood up and looked unbelievingly at my opponent until he noticed my stare.

"Maybe you have a death wish, but I certainly don't." He tired away and sauntered out of the arena.

I too turned towards my exit and walked out. I as expected a full explosion waiting for me outside the gates. Even if he was talking to his Beta, I'm sure he would be watching the match live on the television.

Surprisingly I was greeted by nobody in particular besides the ever raging crowd of tournament enthusiasts. I walked right passed them and towards home.

I made it all the way to my front door and then it occurred to me that I was being followed. Turning around I saw the glaring face of Cooper, and I prepared myself for the worst.

"You thought you could trap my wolf into fighting you." He stated.

"Yes."

"I would have killed him."

"I don't doubt that."

His eyebrows raised. "Doesn't that bother you?"

"I would have killed him first."

He growled.

"Don't do that again, Chloe." He glowered.

"I'll do whate--" I was cut off by the sound of the announcers voice radiating through the camp.

"CONTENDERS, PLEASE KNOW THAT WE WILL HAVE NO FOUL PLAY IN OUR TOURNAMENT. IF YOU DO NOT FIGHT YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. THOSE NOT ATTENDING TO THE RULES WILL BE DEEMED MATELESS, AND WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO PARTAKE IN THE TOURNAMENT. THAT IS ALL."

I hadn't thought Coopers face could get angrier than when I had seen him in the forest a few days ago, right after I had hit him. But if that time ever came, it was now.

Pure white rage marred his beautiful features. His brow furrowed so much if looked painful, his eyes glowed a molten black color, his fangs were distended farther than I thought possible, and his wolves claws were beginning to overtake his human nails.

"You stay with me tonight." He spat through he elongated teeth. His voice held a gruff time to it, it would be a lie if I said I didn't find it appealing.

"I can't just--"

"DON'T ARGURE." His voice raised and a shiver went down my back. This time though, it was from fear and not attraction.

This was the Alpha, this is the one who led the others. The Cooper I knew was my loving mate who wanted me. This was the Alpha who thought of me as territory he needed to protect. It would endanger everyone in camp to argue.

"Yes, Alpha."

He can towards me and picked me up, cradling me like I was a child. I knew his wolf needed the closeness so I didn't protest. What I didn't know was that he was going to be stuck in Alpha mode for a while.

Almost a whole night to be exact.