Prologue

The rain falls fast and hard in Kylemore, the small town in Fenton where everyone knows everyone. It's been like this throughout the week. Only once -it was Wednesday- was there a ray of sunshine, peeking out from behind the clouds, brightening the streets. The kids were playing outside right away, but they were soon inside their houses as it rained again.

Lucas Thompson, auditor for a chartered company, sits in his living room as he watches the weather forecast; the weatherman claims the rain will continue for the next few days, it may get worse. He shakes his head, not surprised. His black hair is freshly cut, and his eyes, a hue of emerald green, concentrate on the screen in front of him as he watches the weatherman point to the north and south of state Michigan.

He's a tall man with a warm smile. Friendly around the neighbourhood, good company when waiting in line in stores, the life of the party. He's a different man when it comes to his job: a serious man when business is to be done, but still kind.

He often works at home when he has little to do, which doesn't happen often, so he's excited on the days he comes home to see his little girl. The little girl he has high hopes for, who will, unequivocally, grow up to be ambitious like him and his wife. For now, that little girl stands by the window, watching and listening to the rain fall. It can't be mistaken the little girl likes the rain; she's amazed as the rain drops splash onto the window and roll down to the bottom of it.

To be frank, the rain isn't the only thing holding her attention. Oh no, she's expecting her mother home soon. Both hands on the window glass, she looks out for the familiar dark red car.

Bobbi Grace looks exactly like her mother: she has her long, chestnut brown hair and big smile - she's the cutest thing Lucas has ever seen. She's only four but very bright. Lucas wants nothing but the best for her.

When he moved away from Maine he was determined to start over. His parents never showed him much love or appreciation for him. Zoey and Richard Thompson never gave him the love parents should give their child. They didn't always display emotions as their heads were wrapped around their jobs, always away on business. It left Lucas to fend for himself. Once he turned thirteen he got a small job and started saving to move away.

At nineteen, he moved to Michigan and later met his wife, Olivia, in college. It was instant love, and they married in the summer of 1990. He never regretted a thing and couldn't be any happier how his life came to be. He made a promise to himself that he would never be like his parents. He adores his daughter and is blessed for the family he dreamed for.

Bobbi jumps for joy when keys jiggle in the lock and the door squeaks open, and Olivia walks inside.

'Mommy!' She runs to Olivia, who is just as happy to see her as she picks her up and kisses her forehead.

'Hi, baby doll!'

Lucas and Olivia often call Bobbi "baby doll" as she looks just like one. Her doe-like eyes are like her mother's, although her eyes are hazel whereas Olivia's are brown.

'Hey, love,' Lucas greets his wife, and he turns off the television set and walks over to her. Wraps his strong arms around her. 'How was work?'

'Same old, but I never complain.'

Olivia owns the flower shop three blocks from their house, Gracious Gardens. Lucas is the one who suggested the name and she fell in love with it, happy a part of Bobbi Grace's name is in it.

It's routine when Lucas drops by with Bobbi whenever she didn't have play school. They moved to Kylemore as it's a great place for Bobbi to grow up in, and with no other flower shop around, Olivia picked it as the best opportunity to open hers, Gracious Gardens, here.