Chapter THIRTEEN

In the lunch hall, waiting impatiently, is Bobbi Grace holding her lunch tray. Five students are ahead of her and only six slices of pizza are left, so she hopes no one takes more than one so she can have one. Doesn't bother to look whose behind her as she's eager to get some food in her stomach. When she is next in line she's delighted to grab the last slice of pizza. Everyone is either being fair or are just broke, she thinks, but she doesn't care. Getting a slice of pizza is better than under-cooked burgers.

Asking for the last slice, she turns her head to the person behind her to ask if they wanted to cut the slice down the middle. When it's Roberto, she has other ideas.

'Oh, um, well I'm not sorry,' she teases and sticks her tongue out, and also hopes he knows she's kidding around.

He laughs. 'It's okay, I don't want it.' When Bobbi arches an eyebrow at him he continues. 'I'm vegan, so.' He shrugs his shoulders.

That's why he has good skin, she thinks, realising that a lot of vegans have clear skin. Maybe I should start eating healthier. 'That's cool.'

When they finish paying for their food and step out of the line, Bobbi scans the lunch hall for an empty table. Spots Jamelia again with the same girls, and she doesn't know whether to be the first to approach her or wait for Jamelia to do it. She doesn't want to lose her and she can't take not being around her, so she decides to sit with her and talk.

Loud laughter erupts in the lunch hall and Bobbi's head snaps over in that direction, recognising Nicholas' laugh. Before going to her friend, she wants to fix things with him.

'Have you got a place to sit?'

Out of her thoughts, she looks at Roberto and nods her head.

'Okay then, but if anything goes wrong just find me and you can sit with me and Damien.' He sends her a friendly wink before walking out to the tables.

She watches him, happy she told him about her mom. It's odd turning over a new leaf with him, but a weight has lifted off her shoulders and everything is better, how it should be.

At Nick's table, she kindly asks him to talk with her outside and he agrees. In the halls, leaning against the lockers, they stare at each other expectantly, the atmosphere tense.

'I'm just gonna say it, Nick, I don't wanna play any games with you or beat around the bush, but you're being difficult.'

'I'm being difficult?' He's surprised to hear that, in disagreement as he shakes his head.

'Oh my God, Nick.' She groans, putting her hands behind her neck, her hands tensing. Rubs circles on the back of her hand as she thinks, please don't start this again. She doesn't want a break up or to lash out at him, but the fact that it's like talking to a wall with him and he can't see...

'Bobs, not once did you come to me and try to convince me you're not cheating after our little fight the other day at lunch. Does that not tell me something? Oh, and don't you remember the day you wore heavy make-up and went to your mom's shop with it still on? And I just saw you talking to him a few minutes ago, don't you see how that looks?'

'I'm not, and never have I or will, cheat on you. Are you really accusing me of cheating on you? And with Roberto? I did try to convince you at lunch but you wouldn't listen. I was wearing make-up to hide the bruises and cuts on my face from those girls fighting me, remember? Yesterday I thought I screwed my chances of working in my mom's shop because I lashed out on Roberto, but I didn't because we worked it out. You know I hate him for what he did but I also have to get along with him so we don't hit into any more pitfalls.'