Chapter ONE

'Dad, is it okay if I go out with Nick tonight?' Bobbi Grace asks, once she puts down her glass of water.

They're having pasta for dinner – Bobbi's favourite.

'No,' Lucas answers, blunt. Without looking up, he wraps his fork around some spaghetti and eats. 'I don't like him.'

His words make Bobbi tilt her head, thrown his way is a blank stare, and she rolls her eyes after.

Lucas must have seen this from the corner of his eye as he looks up from his plate and at his daughter. Her big hazel eyes are mostly green under the brightly lit room. Full of hopes and dreams. A look in her eyes, all Lucas sees is Olivia.

Still hard to accept his wife's passing, the thirteenth anniversary of her death is next month; beyond doubt, Lucas and Bobbi dread it.

Sad to say, the death of Olivia affected all of them in their own way.

A month after the funeral, Owen went back to Chicago. The pain being home was enough to drive him away again. Lost his whole family -parents and younger sister- and felt like he needed to build a new life. Start over again. He visits from time to time, but not enough as he would like because his job position requires high demands.

Bobbi Grace and his job are Lucas' only priorities. Shut himself out from having a social life. Became anti-social. Hasn't looked at another woman – he mentioned it to a co-worker once that it'll feel like cheating, even after thirteen years. He has, however, re-opened the flower shop several years ago. Albeit, he doesn't go there as often. Over time, not at all. It was Olivia's safe haven, it was a big part of her, her escape... just, her. The shop held too much pain and memories.

There was the hesitation of re-opening the shop – it didn't feel right doing so without Olivia. Eager to turn his life around, he re-opened the shop anyway. He knew it was what Olivia would've wanted. Also, he wanted to show Bobbi all of her mother.

And Bobbi Grace. Poor Bobbi. How did her life come to this? All she has is her father. No brothers, sisters, nor a mother-like figure. Heart-breaking as it was, Bobbi kept her chin up. Felt like she had to for her father. She knew he needed her as much as she needed him; they kept each other going. Albeit, staying strong and positive for her dad didn't become just for her dad.

It was a defence mechanism. It was a part of who she was, ingrained itself into her, making it easier for her to mask her emotions. A tall brick wall built up around her heart, difficult for others to engage with her. It had its effect on friendships and past relationships -nothing serious anyway- but Bobbi never let it affect her. Again, it was because she didn't know how to let herself feel her emotions and therefore acted more... robotic, to say the least.

Instead of dwelling on her emotions, she focused on the important things. Important things being, working hard in school to get into university so she can be the proud owner of Gracious Gardens. It's her sole purpose.

Her father told her how Olivia wished to pass Gracious Gardens to her, thus making it Bobbi's life goal to prove to her late mother it wasn't a decision to regret. She studies hard and works part time in the local café to earn money for college.

Upon hearing about how her mother's wish to pass down the flower shop to her, it meant to Bobbi that her mother trusted her, and she didn't want to break that trust. Ever.

It wasn't pressure she would put herself under, she just felt like she must live up to the ambitious, over-achieving, inspirational mother she was blessed to have. Okay, it sounds like pressure, but she never over-worked herself. Bobbi took time out to unwind and be with friends.