Chapter SEVENTEEN

Bobbi wails, discouragingly. 'Does your mom not have any?' She needs to finish her homework, have her dinner, and then work in Gracious Gardens with him later.

Roberto stands at the top of the stairs and calls his mother.

'Yes, baby?' Donna answers him in a sweet voice. Bobbi smiles, thinks it's cute, whilst Roberto blushes.

'Do you have some nail polish remover stuff?' His eyebrows knit together.

Donna stays at the end of the stairs. 'No, why?'

Bobbi comes beside Roberto and smiles, about to answer honestly to his mom, but he beats her to it.

'Oh you know, Camilla.' He attempts to sound smooth. An innocent look is in his eyes and his hands are shoved in his pockets.

His mom raises an eyebrow at him, questioningly. 'Is Camilla painting your nails again?'

Bobbi snorts, thinning her lips to refrain from laughing. Her lips stretch into a smile so she covers her mouth with both hands. Again? It happened more than once? The school bad boy lets his little sister paint his nails, huh? Bobbi finds it rather amusing and adorable, her shoulders shaking up and down from silent laughter.

Roberto's eyes go wide in horror. 'Mama!' he exclaims.

Donna waves her hand at him to reassure him she's joking. 'You know I'm kidding.' Smiles at him. Her eyes trail over to a disappointed Bobbi, and shakes her head discreetly and winks before leaving them. Bobbi gapes, her eyes sparkling and she turns to Roberto with a big grin.

'It's not true.' Roberto tries to convince her. 'Come on, do you really think I enjoy it?'

She says playfully, 'I don't know... Actions speak louder than words.' Looks down at his pink sparkling nails.

He instantly hides his hands behind his back, then places them on her lower back and leads her downstairs. 'Come on, Gold. We better go now.' They reach the front door, and Roberto calls out to his family whilst grabbing his coat from the hook, 'Be back in a few minutes!'

'See you later!' They hear three voices reply simultaneously.

'It was nice to see you again, Bobbi Grace,' Carlos says, walking out of a room and through the kitchen with a plate and glass in hand.

She smiles and waves. 'You too.'

The cold air hits Bobbi and Roberto when they get outside. Small patches of frost covers the grass and patio. Leaves on the trees replaced by frost, too.

Bobbi hugs herself to keep her body warm. When she steps outside of Roberto's yard she says, 'Your family is nice.'

Roberto smiles, not interacting much.

She remembers when his dad walked into Gracious Gardens in his long coat, full of mystery and intimidation, but when she saw him again with a warm smile on his face, it makes her feel silly for her first impression on him. Wonders if Carlos would get along with her father. She knows her dad could do with a friend.

'Your dad seems nice.' She wonders how to say that she'd like both their dad's to meet.

'Good one.' Roberto snorts. Keeps his hands in his pockets as they walk down the street.

'What's that supposed to mean?'

He keeps his head turned the opposite side of Bobbi. 'You made a joke, and I said, "Good one",' he speaks slowly and clearly for her to understand.

She tilts her head to the side and frowns. Carlos seemed friendly inside his house. Didn't get any bad vibes from him, only from his son. 'Why would you say that? He's your dad.'