Chapter TWELVE

Eyes red from crying, Bobbi steps inside her home and her eyes instantly land on the picture of her mom on the bookshelf, reminding her of what she did to Roberto in Gracious Gardens; she frowns and turns her head away from the photo. Winces at the guilt sitting in the pit of her stomach.

Forces herself to look back at the picture. In the photo, Olivia sits in a field of flowers, her brown hair blown back by the wind, smiling cheerfully. She wears a heart printed summer dress and brown sandals. She looks so young and free and happy; it's Bobbi's favourite picture of her.

She places her hand on the picture frame, very gently, like it's the most dainty and fragile object in the world. She smiles softly and takes a step back from the picture when she hears her father's footsteps.

Startled at the sight of her, Lucas says, 'You're home early.' Wipes down some spilled coffee off the rim of his cup with the hem of his sleeve sweater. He wears his glasses atop his nose, which means he's working – as always.

Bobbi blinks at him, snapping out of her daze. 'Yeah.' Her voice quiet. Remembering why she came home early, she huffs and she crosses her arms. Averts her eyes from her father's and she says shyly, 'Can you break off this deal you have with Roberto and call the cops?'

'Is that something you really want?' he inquires, narrowing his eyes on her, wondering what's going on.

All the feelings she shook off in the shop falls heavily on her. She's so sick and tired and stressed of the drama with Nicholas and how Roberto switches from being infuriating to polite and back to annoying again. Can't think straight with everything getting to her. She doesn't do well under stress and slapping Roberto is one action to prove that. Usually reasonable and wise with decision-making and getting things done but not when she's worked up about something.

'Yes. Very much.'

Guess this isn't one of those times. Albeit her eyes move from left to right before staying down on the floor.

'Doll, it was an accident. I heard him say it, and he's a genuine kid. I see something good in him but maybe that's down to me being a softie. I know  you're... it's... if it was anything deliberate you know I'd take serious action. Besides, and you're not gonna like this, I have a big job from a huge firm who needs me to audit their papers, so I'm too busy; I'm busy with work for a while. And even if I were to send Roberto off, think of his family-'

'He doesn't care about ours!' she retorts, her hands ball into fists by her side, livid.

Lucas, trying to reason with her, puts his mug on the coffee table, sits down, and looks up at his daughter. 'Doll, you know you don't have to work with him. It's his punishment. Our deal. If you're not happy with it, then stay out of it. If you can't work with him then stop. Let him do his job and you go back to worrying about school.' Takes his glasses off and inhales a deep breath, massaging the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger. His way to relieve stress. He was awake since six am.

With clenched teeth, Bobbi says, 'You know why I'm doing it. I'm showing you and mom I can be responsible and own Gracious Gardens.' Her voice laces in irritation but she contains her anger. I'm not an angry person.

'Then what are you doing here?' he snaps.

His question hits Bobbi right in the heart. She wonders how much pain her heart can take after everything that happened. Her heart shatters into a million pieces. After Gracious Gardens burning down, more bad things follow and are stomping all over her heart. Crushing it, tearing at it, and spitting on it. Her heart is lost in a dark place; lonely and never to be put together again.

Lucas squeezes his eyes shut at his outburst. The hurt in her eyes is unmistakable and he wants it to go away. 'What did he do to make you come home?' he asks in a gentler tone than his last. His eyes full of remorse at his behaviour, he hopes Bobbi can forgive him.