Chapter TWENTY SEVEN

Competent to sober up, Roberto goes to Gracious Gardens on time, but Bobbi Grace isn't there. He waits outside the flower shop for fifteen minutes but she never makes an appearance. She told her dad she doesn't feel well to work today, not necessarily lying to him. When Roberto comes to the conclusion she isn't going to show, beaten up over it, he calls Lucas for a spare key and he happily obliges to him and hands the key over. Lucas tells him how it's a shame Bobbi is sick and it only makes him feel more awful she made up such an excuse not to be around him. Wishes for her to speak to him, but he also wants her to have the space she needs. Can't help think about what she's doing and if she's okay. He doesn't want her to hate him. Yet, he's afraid he already did that. He has already done it. It tears at his heart.

In Gracious Gardens he sets up the paint supplies. When he's done he realises he isn't in the mood for painting. He's tired of it. Instead he takes out all that's needed for spray painting the wall for her mom's favourite quote. Although he does it as part of his job, of course, inside he's hoping Bobbi would appreciate that he remembered every word in the quote from long ago, and warm up to him. It takes him longer than he expected but he wanted to get it just right, be perfect, because he knows that's what Bobbi and her family deserves.

Finishing at seven, the sky dark, with misty clouds and a few shiny stars, Roberto walks the route to Bobbi Grace's house. Knows he's has to grovel to get her to talk to him and work in the shop again. He missed her today. Steps in their small garden and knocks on the door. Doesn't really know what to say, but he's going to do his best to let her know who she saw today wasn't him and he's so guilty and ashamed.

Lucas comes to the door and smiles at Roberto. 'Hey, how are you?'

'I'm not too bad, Mr. Thompson, thanks. Here's the keys back.' Places the spare keys in his hands and sniffles. 'Is Bobbi in? I'd like to speak to her for a moment, if that's okay?' His stomach is already in knots and she's not even at the door yet.

'Just a moment.' He leaves the door ajar and walks inside, before Roberto thanks him and tells him to have a good night.

He's waiting a while, his stomach churning and his eyes glossing with tears, and he checks out the neighbour's yard to distract his mind from having bad thoughts. The front door opens, shedding light outside. He glances at her but can't hold her gaze as his stomach pulls at him. Once he apologises he knows he'll have to explain his behaviour, tell her what she wants to know. Acknowledging this makes it hard to swallow the lump in his throat.

He forces himself to move his eyes up to meet hers to show his sincerity. She keeps a poker face, leaning on her right leg and crossing her arms, and waits for him to say whatever it is he's here for so she can close the door.

'I'm so incredibly sorry, Bobbi Grace,' he starts, his voice hoarse, the knots in his stomach tightening. 'Will I see you at Gracious Gardens tomorrow?' Thinks if she shows then he might have a chance to redeem himself and apologise profusely until she isn't mad.

She keeps her mouth shut, prolonging the silence, and takes her eyes off him and to the plant in her yard. Contemplates whether she will or not, but nothing will stop her from redecorating the shop. It's her dream, so she's just going to have to ignore the monster in it.

He hates being on this side of her, receiving the silent treatment, and she won't even look at him anymore. He knows how much his words had their impact, it's affecting him too, so much so that he wishes to go back in time and change everything.

'Bobbi, I wish I could go back in time and take back those words. What I said was messed up... 'cause I'm a pretty messed up guy. The guy you saw today was not me. Who you saw is the part of me I don't like. You only wanted to help me... and I have an issue of pushing away the people who try to help me. I don't deserve it, especially after what I said to you. But that isn't who I am. I don't really know who I am anymore. Shit...' It's gut-wrenching for him to unveil that to her. He wipes his eyes with the back of his hands before the tears reach his cheekbones. His breathing hitches and he takes a while to compose himself.