1 - bad meets good

"Unless you change your behaviour, you're going to get expelled."

I snorted. This I had heard before. But not from her.

The school psychologist glanced at me from over her glasses, the side of her mouth twitched. My file had gotten bigger since the last time I'd seen it. I have to admit, I was kind of impressed.

"Any specific advice?" I cocked my eyebrow. Even though she was in her forties, she looked good. Compared to the girls, she was mature. But still, none of them were my type.

"Can't say that I have any," she continued with a sigh. "But- something needs to change. You can't walk around ready to punch everyone who disagrees with you."

I rolled my head and then shifted my eyes from the ceiling to her. "That was one time." On school ground it had been one time, otherwise there had been more times than I could count.

She pushed her glasses and closed my file. "Please," she said like she meant it, but I was just another case. These were words she had been taught to say. She had been taught to feel sorry for us delinquents. None of this was real. "You're graduating soon."

That was if I decided I wanted to graduate.

I gave a slight nod. She smiled as if I had lifted a heavy weight off her chest. Even if I had, I think I dropped it on mine, then.

"Okay, Lucas." She pushed herself up from her chair and rested her palms against the stacked table. I noticed the edge of a paper crumple under her hand. Hope it wasn't important. "Get back to class."

I saluted her and walked out, making sure the door closed silently behind me.

As inviting as History sounded, I preferred to not be there for the next fifty minutes. Besides, I needed a cigarette break. And I couldn't have one on school grounds, or otherwise it would have been smart to smoke one in the psycho-cabinet. Would have saved me the trouble of walking.

In the hallway I spotted Samantha. She had been my last night hookup, and was the best friend of six years. The whole time I had my eyes closed and let her do the work. "Hey, Sammy," I said as I passed her and she turned her head. She was wearing a tight top and skinny jeans showing perfectly what she had to offer.

"Lucas," she smirked and closed her locker. She joined me and we walked side by side - she to her class, and me towards the exit. "I had fun last night." Her eyes glinted even in the poor lighting of the hallway.

I shrugged and put my hands in my pockets. "Yeah." I so needed a cigarette. I noticed how some of the guys looked at her, their eyes piercing right through her thin clothes. "So has Ryan made his move yet?"

I hadn't minded when she went on how she was nervous about this one guy, because this one could possibly be her next boy toy. Last night I had tried my best to give some advice, but frankly I didn't care about Ryan. Of course, Samantha wouldn't listen when I said she deserved better. She said that if she set the bar too high, no one would be able to jump over it, even the jocks.

She exhaled and a few strands of her dark red hair quivered under the spell of the airwaves. "No," she said boredly. "He keeps ignoring me. I don't know if he thinks it's a turn on...It's more upsetting."

I laughed. "Maybe he likes the quiet girls who cover up," I offered.

She winced and bit her lip. "Maybe."

We reached the classroom and she stopped. "I'll see you later," she muttered and disappeared into midst of tables and chairs and annoying teenagers. My thoughts were with her, hoping she'd be able to go through with this class without falling asleep. Perhaps next time I should toss her a bottle or two of some kind of energy drink. That'd be a nice gesture.