1 - hello school, my darling nemesis

A/N: Eh, well, fuck it. I'll post the first chapter, then, too. Like I said, there's not much going on. But I'm already working on chapter 2, which I'll post next week, and that one's going to be more interesting. (Well, hopefully)

Happy reading x)

(votes and comments are very welcome. comments don't even have to be about the chapter, but let's just chat or something :D )

Chapter 1 – Hello school, my darling nemesis

A flock of sparrows fly over my head.

My bags are heavy, but I can't let it show. My bags should be heavy, because this could be considered a workout.

For a month and a half I've been taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking instead of driving my car, running instead of walking, water instead of booze, healthy food and snacks instead of whatever crap I was eating before.

But my bags still feel heavy, and they should heavy. I don't have trouble carrying them, but I do have trouble grasping the fact that I'm no longer a highschooler but a college student. That someone actually agreed to take me in to give me an education.

Also grasping the fact that I'm not alone in all this.

Even though Sam has been away for too long now, I'm not as devastated as I thought I would be three or four months ago, because now I have Nolan. And it just so happened that we're enrolled in the same college. We won't share the classrooms, not even the dorms. He's basically on the other side of the city. But we will be able to meet each other. Every night if we want.

I lock the car doors and start toward the dorms.

Hello school, my darling nemesis!

It's nice to see you!

Having to be waken up to the sound of an alarm, any kind of alarm, is a pain in the ass.

But today is my first day. Thankfully I wasn't woken up by someone else's alarm, because here everyone has a single room. No roommates.

I pour all the clothes on my bed. I had to buy new shirts and jeans because the old ones don't fit me anymore. I've gained muscle, perhaps not as much as I would've liked, but still. One could say I even have abs now.

I rip the tag from the T-shirt and pull it on. Black shirt and blue jeans and my laptop. That's all I need.

Before I go searching for the right room, I grab a sandwich and a juicebox from the cafeteria.

Fortunately it doesn't take me long to find the auditorium. History of Theatre is first on the list. And quickly the seats start filling in. I'm messaging Nolan, but he's probably still sleeping. He doesn't have any classes until noon. All the while I try to eat or otherwise my stomach will grumble at the quietest moment, and I don't want that to happen.

How was my summer, you ask?

Well, I already told you some of it. Working out and sticking to a diet. Sometimes I would drive to see Nolan, sometimes he would drive to see me.

Sometimes I would stay at Marcus'. Not to drink, but to use his gym. I was training on a budget, still am. And he would tell me how he wanted things to go.

"Theme parties, slash fights," he said, leaning on the machine next to me. I was working on my thighs. No idea how all those machines are called.

He propped up his elbow and rested his chin atop his fist. "Not always, though," he says as if it were obvious. But I won't stand in the way of his great plans. Then his eyes lit up. "Dad always wanted me to invest in something. Perfect."

"What's perfect?" I asked, but he was already hurrying away.

But I did get an invitation from him. On Friday, I am to go to a specific location. Bring friends of age there. Sorry Jason and Caleb, but you can't come. And Max too.

The spots next to me find their people too. Part of me is glad that nobody deserted me, but it feels so crowded now. I put the sandwich away, but leave the juicebox. Maybe I'll get thirsty.

And when the clock strikes, the lecture begins. This time the lecture is not about how I'm a failure and I should stop punching people, not like the lectures Heather gave me. This time it's about the history of theatre, and how comedy and tragedy both make up my personality.

If Marcus ever decides to throw a masquerade fight, then count me in showing up wearing the traditional Greek Theatre mask, one side happy, the other sad.

At 4:45 I'm waiting outside.

I checked twice for wet paint before I sat down because the bench was too shiny in the sunlight.

I'm reading Hamlet again. That's how basic I am. And to whoever says it's bullshit, I say you're kind of an ass.

I've been working on an idea for a play. But I have to find the right words for the first lines.

"I'm so glad you're my boyfriend," Nolan exhales and lands next to me. He throws his arm around my shoulders and kisses my hair. "You look way too hot and it would be a shame if you were with someone else."

I close the book. "I don't like anyone else as much as I like you."

"Hmm," he says and narrows his eyes at me. "Seems like bullshit, but I'll take it. Have you had dinner?"

I shake my head.

"It's settled then," he says and stands up. Nolan extends his hand toward me. "We better go on a romantic dinner date. I can't let my love starve."

"You better not!" I say firmly. "I need to keep my muscles, or no money for me."

"Yeah, it would be a shame," he nods, eyeing me from top to bottom.

"Thank you, I would like to keep my clothes on. Stop undressing me with your eyes," I say, rolling my eyes, and flick his jaw upward.

"Someday," he mumbles, and we start walking.

When I fall asleep that night, I think back to dinner.

We've both changed a little. Nolan has clear freckles on his nose and cheeks now. A pattern I want to memorize.

He kept nudging me under the table.

"What?" I slammed my fist down.

He was smiling like an idiot. A very cute idiot. "Do you still like me?"

"You're kicking me, literally. No, I don't like that."

"I'm hitting on you," he says and rolls his eyes.

I bring the glass to my lips and point my index finger at him. "That's a stolen line. Eileen said that to Marcus."

He presses his lips together, frustrated. "Yeah, but the context was correct. Deal with it! Sometimes I steal other people's lines."

"Which is why you can never become an actor," I say knowingly and smile.

I'm just about to drift off when my phone beeps. I grab it from the table and wince when the light hits my eyes. A text from Marcus.

To meet him tomorrow.

Fine.