29 - what if I lied

A/N: Shorter chapter, because I'm such a hopeless procrastinator.

I love the smell of spring. Can't wait to wear lighter clothes and be fashionable as fuck (although I always end up looking like a pile of garbage).

Happy reading x)

chapter 29 – what if I lied

Lucas

The thing is, we're a bunch of children trying to play house.

None of us knows how to go forward, now that we've had the fun with fighting. I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about transforming into a couch potato if there's no need for me to be in shape. Fights motivate most of us.

"Wait, but Ben's graduating, isn't he?" Nolan says suddenly from the bed. He's looking at furniture in a magazine for god knows what.

I nod, buttoning my shirt. "I think so."

"Shouldn't he have graduated with you?" he frowns.

I comb my hair, staring at my reflection in the mirror. "Maybe his parents waited a year before they enrolled him."

He's thinking. "So we need to get him a graduation present? I wonder what he's going to do after high school. I mean, he's bright. He should go to college."

"First you need to finish writing your thesis, not worry about others." I walk over to him and kiss him on the lips. "You should think about your own graduation. We'll be welcoming you with lavish bouquets, every colour. So many flowers that it'll give you a headache."

"Are you going to get me some food while you're out?" he changes the subject.

Marcus asked me to go with him. I don't know what he's planning, or if he even has a plan. Maybe he's just winging it.

"I'll try to keep that in mind."

I see Eileen on the way out. She looks calm. I wonder what went on with her and Ben.

Movie night was nice. We hung out, although I was missing Caleb and Jason. It just isn't the same without them.

I've not spoken with Simon or Paul. I guess some friendships are not meant to be. That's just how it is.

I feel more connected to the usual bunch.

Of course Marcus wasn't happy with having to endure Eileen snuggled up next to Ben. It wasn't the sight he wanted.

I couldn't help but feel bad. It's clear as day that Marcus is infatuated with her, yet she keeps pushing him away. Does she want him to fight for her more passionately?

"Do you need anything?" I ask before leaving.

She smiles, shakes her head. "All's good."

*

"Where are we going?" I ask from Marcus as he slides into the driver's seat.

He clears his throat. "I'm a little confused."

As am I.

I frown at him.

"My mind is racing and it's driving me completely mad," he says. "I have this theory."

I adjust the seatbelt while he puts his on.

"The thing is that I don't want good people around bad things."

I'm not sure I like where this is going. He turns the key in the ignition.

"So I need you to keep a secret." He doesn't look at me while he speaks. "We're running an errand, that's true. But the fighting isn't done. It's just done for certain people."

Shit.

He pulls the car onto the road.

"I don't want you or Nolan in the ring. I don't want Eileen as ring leader. I'll keep Hackney, maybe Brooks, even though he is also too sweet of a human being to be in such dirty pits sweating and bleeding." He's shaking his head. "This has to be exclusive."

"But–"

He holds up his hand and I shut up.

"My dad will always get me out of trouble with the money he has. It's his way of being related to me. He doesn't show up at birthdays, but he sends money. He doesn't bail me out, he sends his lawyers. And so on."

I nod.

"I can do this all. But if anyone, I want you to be the one I share this secret with. I need an ally in that sense. I don't need you to do anything, just hopefully you'll understand and that's it. I guess this is the only thing I'm expecting – understanding."

"Okay."

"We've been through a lot. From friends to enemies to friends. So we're going– No, I am going to talk to Ashley. We're going to join forces. I know her game, thanks to Cameron. I know that two rings aren't working for either of us. We have to join forces."

"Whatever you have to do." What else is there to say?

Actually, fuck it! There's A LOT to say.

"Why are you doing this? Just because we're good people? You're also good!"

Marcus snorts. "When have I ever been good. It doesn't matter. It's pointless. In the end there'll be just me. And I can handle myself getting hurt or ending up in shitty situations, but I can't even–" He takes a sharp breath. "I can't even think about any of you getting hurt."

"You deserve more," I say quietly, staring at the passing buildings.

He shrugs. "Well, sometimes people don't get what they deserve. So, in the meantime, I'll keep myself occupied with other things."

"What about Eileen?"

"What about her?" He bites down on his lower lip.

"She– You're going to have to lie to her and that's not okay."

"We were never meant to be," he replies. "Sometimes the antagonist becomes good and gets the fairytale ending, fair enough. But I'm not like that. Also, the story isn't over yet. And IF this is meant to be after all – all this happy and get-what-you-deserve – it will be. This isn't something I'm going to do for the rest of my life. But until something better, more solid comes along, there will be fight clubs."

He stops the car in front of the warehouse where Cameron used to train. I'm praying to whoever listens for Devon to not be here.

"Hopefully I'll come back unharmed," he jokes. "And with a deal."

"We'll still go out with a bang?" I raise my eyebrow.

He grins as he gets out. "Definitely. A fashionable bang." And then he slams the door.

Poetic.