4 - AFTER the movie we don't go to sleep

A/N: So, finally-finally an update. I didn't know what to write, and you can probably tell it when you're reading :D (but I kind of know where I want this to go) I hope you like it despite everything. 

(ps. Halsey's new song is amazing.) (psps. this story has over 70K reads which is just insane, but i kind of like insane, so yaas!)

I send all my best wishes to you wherever you are! Have an amazing day or evening or night, and then another and another...

As always, give me comments and votes. (I sound desperate because I am desperate)

Happy reading x)

Chapter 4 – AFTER the movie we don't go to sleep

I think I fell in love with apples, because that pie was heavenly.

We have moved outside. Jason's on the swing with Caleb begging him to let Caleb swing for a little too. Jason keeps shaking his head. "No, I called dibs, and dibs is holy," he says.

Eileen is trying to braid Ben's hair which has gotten longer, but not long enough, so it looks rather like a bird's nest, his hair sticking in every direction. He's sitting on the lowest step, elbows on knees, staring at the bickering of Jason and Caleb. With legs on both sides of Ben, Eileen is sitting two steps higher.

I'm sitting on the corner of the terrace, one leg up on the rail, the other down for balancing, so I wouldn't fall. And Nolan is next to me on a lounge chair. It's excruciating being there silently. I want to yell at him, but not really. I just want to goof around and make inappropriate comments. And even though the other are pretty thankful that we're not, they're wondering why, they're thinking that this isn't normal.

Jason finally hops off the swing. He flicks a bug off his shoulder and walks to the terrace. I cross my fingers in the hope that he'll come up and start a conversation so it wouldn't be this awkward, but no. He squeezes in next to Eileen and tousles Ben's hair.

I think that both us of, Nolan and I, are disappointed.

It's still hours until sunset. Hours to fill until we all go to sleep. And I'm a terrible host.

"How's uni?" I decide to ask. The silence breaks as I speak. Breaks like my heart did when Nolan didn't hug me.

He shrugs. From the corner of my eye I see him shrug and decide whether to even give a proper answer. "Still waiting to find out what grade I got for the final exam."

I exhale in relief. A heavy stone is lifted from my chest and I can breathe. He spoke. That's all I care about. "And so far?"

"Straight A's," he replies and a smile tugs at the corners of his mouth. And because of that almost smile, I decide to turn to look at him. He feels my eyes on him and lifts his head. We look at each other, and then I smile and give a nod. Seeing him happy makes me happy. That goes to all of my friends, actually.

"What the–?" Sam's standing in the doorway. "This isn't a party." She's still in graduation clothes, and then I realize that so are we. We should probably change. This suit only makes me more uncomfortable.

I stand up. "Good, you're here. I'm gonna change and in the meantime you can arrange a proper party scene."

Eileen cranes her neck. "Hi, Sam!" she gets up from the steps. "You look incredible!" She goes to hug Sam and I feel the knot in my stomach tighten. I brush past them and rush upstairs. Baby steps – at least I got Nolan to talk to me.

I replace the suit with a tee and sweatpants. When I turn around I find Nolan at the door. "Hey, um, Sam said I could borrow your clothes," he says, unsure, then takes another step until he's inside the room. "I forgot to bring more comfortable clothes."