6 - AFTER I plan to be bad enough

A/N: I forget every time to thank all y'all. This story has a lot of reads, it's close to 80K (not that close, but still close), and the votes are close to 5K. It's insane. And I enjoy reading your comments so-so much. It really makes my day, it makes me happy, it makes me feel that people care and I want you to know that people care, I care. 

To everyone who I haven't thanked specifically, because May was hectic, THANK YOU! I probably won't be able to find your usernames, but I was always watching how some you read it in one sitting, or at least voted in one sitting. And it means the world to me. 

ALSO: I've been thinking of giving you the story of Eileen and Nolan. Would you be interested in reading it?              It would be a short story, I think. Maybe 10 chapters (but knowing me, it could be more). 

Thank you for the good wishes. I got an A on my exam. 

Happy reading x) 

Feed me comments and votes. (there's not any action in this chapter, and for that I'm sorry)

Chapter 6 - AFTER I plan to be bad enough

I'm halfway through the week, so close I can almost taste the freedom, when the bell above the book store rings and yanks my attention toward the newcomer. And the quiet dissolves into a frenzy in my head. I blink at brown eyes, and those brown eyes blink back.

He's clutching a book to his chest. The one I recommended.

"I thought Sam was here," he says as an excuse, or explanation. He looks at his shoes and exhales before he takes another step.

"You didn't like it?" Because I care more about the book than the heaviness cradling us. Because I tie my attention around the covers, so it wouldn't float to tie itself around him.

He shrugs. "It was different. I didn't not like it." The wording is all wrong and the way he says it is mechanical. Where did he leave human-Devon? Because he feels like a ghost in front of me.

And finally he's close enough that I take a step back. He sets the book on the counter. "But that's beside the point. It's not why I'm here."

I raise my eyebrow and clench my fingers to fists at my sides, but he can't see it. "You mean to tell me you didn't come here to return it?" He bites his lip, I narrow my eyes at him. "Whatever," I wave my hand nonchalantly. "It doesn't matter. Why are you here, then?"

Devon sighs, bracing his hands on the counter, and doing so his knee bumps against the counter as well. I can see a flash of uncomfortable pain. "Are we over?"

I cross my arms and shrug. It's sounds like the most stupid question, yet a question that demands to be asked. I'm glad it didn't have to be asked by me.

He winces. "I guess that's a yes." He sighs and I'm not sure whether it's from disappointment or relief, or maybe his knee is hurting. "I'm sorry, but I can't back down from Marcus' offer. I'm doing this because of me." He scratches his arm and decides to look at me.

Keep telling yourself that, boy.

I would like to think that I would never do that to him, but maybe if I didn't know Marcus I'd do the same. But Devon does know Marcus' reputation, so why is he agreeing to anything Marcus offers? Still, it's wrong to judge someone just because (even though I will continue to do it). I'll judge him until I forget. And I bet he'll do the same. He'll judge me. He'll forget me.