26 - good boy and a party

A/N: I am at a loss for words (judging by the length of the chapter again, not so much, but generally) - you guys have been amazing!! We're past 9K and the votes and comments keep on coming. It's amazing. 2017 has been treating me so well thanks to you all. Keep up the good work.

blackcielo ; skinnyboyforever ; MadameHaze ; ItsRaye ; OliviaDickerson ; shipsforlife3 - for voting

zeeadaj and sophisticatedsister and writing00introvert for those many-many comments I enjoy

For those of you who I forgot, I'm sorry. I still care about you and am so thankful and grateful.

I'm still greedy, so I want more comments and more votes, because the more, the merrier.

Happy reading x)
ps. #273 in teen fiction ❤

Chapter 26 – good boy and a party

We play cards again. Greg left to go to the store. Instead of joining us in cards, Nolan's reading a comic book Caleb had brought with him. He apologized multiple times, and Caleb said 'it's okay' every time.

Jason's humming a song. It seems to irritate Ben, but he doesn't tell Jason to stop. Eileen comes to the kitchen and opens the fridge door but nothing seems to satisfy her, so she leaves again.

"Pick it up," Ben grins. I roll my eyes and take the cards. Once I was good at playing cards, now even Caleb can beat me, and he's thirteen. I'm losing to a kid. Of course it hurts my ego, because my ego is fragile. At least I can admit it.

"C, do you have the next part too?" Nolan asks, not taking his eyes off the comic.

Caleb shakes his head. "No," he says. "Mom promised to send it to me when she gets it."

Nolan grunts. "Torture," he whines and leans back in his chair and throws his head back. "This is torture."

Eileen comes back, opens the fridge again, closes it and paces in front of the fridge. She runs trembling fingers through her loose hair and rests her forehead against the fridge door. She taps her fingers against her temples. Then she goes back to the main room.

I frown.

"We all know you're losing," Ben says. "Stop being so dramatic."

"I can't help it," I say and shrug. "I'm attracted to drama. The more, the merrier."

Suddenly there's a scream and I shoot up from my chair. Nolan starts and almost falls with his chair. Caleb's eyes go wide in shock. Ben puts his arm around Caleb and strokes his hair, he sends me a look and I nod.

I run to the main room, but it's empty. I see the bathroom door is open and stride in. Eileen is curled up on the floor, holding her bleeding knuckles close to her chest. She's shaking. My eyes scan the space and I notice the mirror is broken. She punched the mirror.

"I'm sorry," she sobs. "There weren't any carrots." She covers her face behind the curtain of hair. "I could strain the anger." She tries to stand up, her feet unsteady, and she puts her bleeding hand underneath the faucet and lets water pour over it.