8 - bad boy and a party

A/N: So, finally, finally, I get to post. 

Yes, I kept my word.

Anyway, as much as I thought I'd be able to go on with a story without involving a party, I can't. Parties are essential (not really). 

I hope you like this chapter. And I apologize for the sort-of cliffhanger. This party doesn't end with this chapter.

(also, I noticed that I've changed from past tense to present tense in this chapter. the following chapters are also in the present tense.)

(This story just made it past 100 reads. Yaass! )

Chapter 8 – Bad boy and a party

When it's dark, I feel good.

When it's dark and a party, I feel even better.

"Stop changing the channels," Sam snaps at me as we drive along the road. This time the wheels will take us to a cabin in the woods, and hopefully not in a scary way. Instead we'll have to fight for the beers and a place to sit down. We also might have to dodge some nauseas people who might blurt out more than just words.

But parties are fun. As long as you don't take yourself too seriously.

"Just pick a fucking song!" she growls, and I chuckle, catching a glimpse of her eyeliner beneath the curtain of her hair. As if sensing my eyes on her, she brushes the curtain behind her ear and glances at me. "What? It's really annoying."

I lick my lips and settle down into the seat, no longer fidgeting between radio channels. I switch my gaze to my reflection, and then focus on the trees and the few houses we pass by.

Sam hums along. Even though she's a strong believer that her voice is awful, her humming relaxes me. I know she doesn't do it for me, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying moments like these.

"You're gonna drive back," she says. "Right?" She turns the wheel and we're on a rocky forest trail. There better be a lake. I need my midnight swim every once in a while.

I count to thirteen and then let go of my breath. "Sure," I mumble.

"Promise?" she insists. "I've got no one else to rely on."

I nod, popping a gum into my mouth. "Promise." I trace the gum with my tongue and stare at the sky. I want to see stars but I only see tops of trees, and it doesn't satisfy me. I roll down the window and feel Sam tense beside me.

"What are you doing?" she asks, worried.

I lean my arm on the window and stick my head out. I can barely hold my eyes open because of the wind and some of the branches reaching out, but I spot more than two stars, and then pull back in, rolling the window closed.

"Just being romantic," I reply and watch her face twist in disgust as I smirk.

"Gross," she says playfully. She turns to the right and stops the car. There are others, all of them appearing in a dark shade. Lights are illuminating the way to the house, where people are already enjoying themselves. We're too early. That only means the party is decent thus far. "You're never going to find anyone," Sam adds as she gets out of the car and I follow her lead.

I stretch my legs and arms as if woken from a heavy sleep, and groan.

"See what I mean," she says as she walks over to me. "Was that supposed to be sexy?"

She presses her palm on my exposed stomach and I flinch out of her reach. I pull my shirt down and brush off the dirt cloud I got exiting the car.