Chapter Seventeen: A New Friend and Busted

"Tojo, I'm back!" Serrin said as they neared the entrance. Eight men dressed in similar fashion to the Lightning Five stood guard, and Ryu had to stop himself from attacking them.

     One of the guards stepped forward and shook Serrin's hand. "What are you doing out, father? Don't you know we're in the midst of a war? You could've been killed!"

   Serrin laughed. "But I wasn't. Don't worry so much about me, son. I've still got a lot of kick in me. I can take care of myself."

     The guard noticed Ryu standing by the cart. "And who's this?"

     Serrin gestured for Ryu to come forward, and he did. "This is Ryu. He appears to have wandered out. Would you mind letting us back in?"

     The son's eyes widened at the sound of Ryu's name, and Ryu noticed the change. He frowned and nodded at the guards, who opened the metal gate for Ryu and Serrin to go through.

     As they walked by, Ryu spotted from the corner of his eyes the men chatting while glaring at him. Ryu realized they knew something about him. Pretending not to notice, Ryu resumed on his walk beside Serrin.

     To Ryu's surprise, the Hidden Storm Village looked pretty peaceful. Little children ran around playing, women went about their way shopping, and men hung around everywhere chatting. The village looked nothing like one bent on destroying the Hidden Leaf.

     "Here, I'll take you to my house, young'un," Serrin said. "Follow me."

     Ryu was led to one of the many large houses inside the village, which he followed Serrin inside. The house was spacious, but looked empty, like no one lived there.

     Serrin noticed Ryu's confused look. "This place used to house a family," Serrin explained. "However, my wife and our daughter died from the same illness, and my firstborn son, Tamahome, went to war, and the younger one Tojo volunteered for guard duty outside the village. Now it's just me that's left."

     Ryu realized that he himself was somehow like Serrin, alone, every family member of his gone. He lived alone, having to take care of himself daily. Except, Ryu realized, he now had Chi, who he could now spend his happiness with and fill the empty void in his life. Without his knowing, a smile had grown on his face.

     "Who're you thinking about, your girlfriend?" Serrin asked.

     Ryu reddened. "How'd you know?"

     This caused Serrin to laugh. "I didn't, but now I do. Anyways, sit down. I'm gonna go put on some tea."

     Smiling, Ryu took a seat at one of the tables. He liked his new friend, Serrin, and had completely forgotten about his mission. He was comfortable and liked being here, and he found himself excited for the tea. He began treating himself to the food that was already laid out on the table.

     That is, until the door flew open and Tojo and the other guards flew in, swords drawn and ready for combat. Serrin came back into the room, two cups of tea siting on a tray in his hands.

     "Ryu Uchiha, we have caught you!" Tojo yelled.

     So this is what they knew, Ryu recalled from before, when Tojo's eyes had light up from hearing his name.

     Serrin, recognizing 'Uchiha,' dropped his tray and looked at Ryu with disgust, sending a wave of sadness through Ryu. "You used me to get into the city!"

     "That's right father," Tojo said. "Spies have warned that he is on a mission to infiltrate the Hidden Storm Village. Besides, you sword was a dead giveaway. Children don't carry swords in this village. I should have detained you earlier, but I thought my father knew what he was doing."

     Ryu sighed. No point in trying to explain now. He put on his mask he had already stashed away. "Thanks for the rest and food, Serrin. I hope Tamahome makes it home alright. I'll be taking my leave now."

     "Quiet, you invader!" Serrin yelled.

     Ryu shook his head and looked at Tojo. "Well, what're you gonna do now?"

     "Arrest him, men!" Tojo yelled as they rushed toward Ryu.

     Suddenly, Ryu burst into a flock of crows and, using his Sharingan's Genjutsu ability, erased their memory of him.