Chapter Ten: ANBU Training

After agreeing to join the ANBU, Ryu and Chi were immediately taken to the new ANBU Black Ops headquarters, which now lay under the Hokage mansion. They showed them their dorms, which were right next to each other, and had them changed into their new ANBU outfits.

     Then they took them to the training center, which was a large dome in the center of the headquarters. 

     "Welcome, Ryu and Chi, to the training center," said a tall, lean man with long blonde hair and clear blue eyes. "I'm Yuu, one of the three captains of the ANBU Black Ops."

     He had a warm and welcoming smile, which made Ryu and Chi relax.

     Suddenly, he vanished and appeared behind Ryu and Chi with Kunai at each of their throats.

     "Lesson number one in the ANBU, never let your guard down, even with a friend," Yuu said. He put his Kunai back and walked between the frozen Ryu and Chi.

     Turning back around with a smile, he said, "You'll each be trained in a specific department depending on what you're better at. I'm speed, so I'm quick and hard to keep up with. Let's find out what you guys are."

     It took three hours of physical and mental training for them to figure out Ryu and Chi's type, but they finally did it.

     "So Ryu is speed, like me," Yuu said cheerfully.

     Ryu shrugged, not caring much. Chi looked at Yuu, waiting to hear hers.

     "And you seem to be balanced out, Chi, even though your skills are above normal. But after watching you, I realized that you actually specialize in learning."

     "Learning?" Chi asked.

     Yuu nodded. "It means you can catch on quickly and better than other people can. You can learn Jutsus, and many other things, in just a matter of minutes or seconds."

     "Cool!" Chi exclaimed.

     "Cindy, one of our learners and captains, will be training you, while I train Ryu," Yuu said.

     A woman, around her thirties, walked into the training center. She stood beside Chi.

     "I'm Cindy," she said, "and welcome to the ANBU Black Ops. Sorry I couldn't come to properly welcome you with the others at the Hokage's mansion."

    "Where were you anyway?" Yuu asked.

     "None of your business," Cindy said. "Anyway, let's just get started."

     Yuu sighed and walked over to a wall with a keypad and punched in a few buttons. Suddenly, a wall rose from the ground, separating Ryu from Chi and Cindy. 

     "We'll be training privately," Yuu said, turning to face Ryu.

     "Now the secret to speed is to loosen up your body, but always stay on your guard, ready to move at any moment," Yuu said. "You seem to always be tense, which is why you can't unlock your full potential. Try it."

     Ryu took a deep breath and loosened himself up. 

     "Good," Yuu said. "Now, try to always stay on your toes, but I don't mean it literally. Now, before we begin, lets stretch."

     Ryu stretched his arms and legs until he felt even more loosened up, and Yuu did the same.

     "Another thing you'll need is endurance and stamina if you want your speed advantage to be helpful. I want you run around around this room at your full speed until you can't move any longer."

     Ryu was about to begin running when Yuu stopped him. Yuu left the room and returned with wrist and leg weights. He strapped them to Ryu's wrists and legs, who looked confused.

     "These are fifteen pound wrist and leg weights," Yuu said. "We go up ten ponds every week with the weights. This should help your movements become quicker. Go on."

     Ryu struggled to move and began running as fast as he possibly could. He knew that joining the ANBU wasn't going to be easy, but this was just ridiculous! He sighed and resumed pushing himself to keep on going.

He only managed to keep going for an hour before dropping to the ground, exhausted and unable to move.

     "A whole hour!?" Yuu yelled. "That's amazing! I only lasted half an hour when I did this, and I was even a Chunin. You're really something else."

     "Th . . . a . . . nks," Ryu said between pants.

     "I'll let you get some rest," Yuu said. "We'll continue as soon as you're done resting. We have five weeks, so no worries."

    Ryu nodded and began thinking about what Chi must've been doing at the moment.