Chapter Twenty Seven: Let Them Go

I woke to the cold air hitting my lungs. I began to cough out the water, and someone rolled me to my side to help. As I lay back down, I open my eyes and have them adjust to the sunlight. It was Bucky. I give him a small smile.

"Couldn't let me go huh?" I cough with a smile. He shook his head and smiled back.

"You let go." He said softly.

"Gravity was not my friend." I point out. He offers his metal hand to help me up. I stand up and stumble a bit, but I then look down. There was Captain America. He was breathing but unconscious.

"I had to save him." Bucky tells me.

"You did good." I support him. He gave me a pained smile. I look at his limp flesh arm. "Ready to put it back?" I place my hands around his wrist and his bicep.

"Okay 1...2-" And I snap it back it to place, making him cry out in pain.He brings it close to his chest and breathes heavy.

"What happened to Three?" He chuckled.

"Eh, over rated." I tell him. He chuckles but then stares at the ground."What is it?"

"I have to go, I have to figure out who I am." He tells me.

"Okay...." I was waiting for the other shoe.

"You have to stay with him." He tells me as he points to Steve.

"Why? I want to come with you." I say confused.

"Find Amira, keep her safe and find out what you are missing." He explains. I say and nod.

"Okay, but Can I show you something? I saw it and I thought you should see it." I tell him. He hesitates but comes closer. I place my darkened hands on the sides of his head and close my eyes.

The men in white were with Mama, getting her ready for more things. I walk past the door to see a man sitting there. He wore all black and he had a metal arm. His head was hanging and his long brown hair covered his face. I walk up to him and poke his metal arm. It was cool but it had the red star on it.

The man tense and glared at me, but then his look softened. He turn to me completely. He had brown chocolate eyes and he had a scruff. I sit next to him.

"Hi." I say quietly.

"Hi." He says. "What are you doing here?"

"I have to wait for my turn sir." I tell him as I tug on my fingers.

"How old are you?" He asks, he seemed very interested in me.

"Eleven...I think...uh Sir." I tell him truthfully.

"Why must you call me sir?" He liked to ask a lot of questions.

"Because all the boy adults have to be called Sir." I tell him.

"What's your name little one?" He had a slight smile now.

"Mika. Can I ask what yours is?" He stiffened and seem unsure.

"I..I don't remember. The men call me the Winter Solider." He tells me.

"So can I call you Winter?" I ask him with hopes.

"Yes you can, Mika." He says with a smile. I never seen a man smile with kindness to me before. It was amazing.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Who's her Dad?" Steve asks.

"Some solider from this german thing. He's there greatest achievement, Masked man would say. So, he took from the solider, and put it my mom. Then Amira came along."

---------------------------------------------------------

I remove my hands from him and stumble back. He blinked and I saw the gears turing.

"She is my...." He started.

"Yeah. She would love to meet you." I tell him. I could see him holding her tight, keeping her safe. Protecting her in the line of fire, and never being anything but good to her.

"Not now....later." He says. I understood how overwhelming it was. He wraps his arm around me and hugs me. I hug back and hold back tears of my only friend. He starts to walk away as I stand next to Captain America.

"Mika." He calls, I look at him. He tosses a small thing at me, that lands at my feet. It was Amira's doll. I hold to my chest and smile, knowing I would get her back. I then rip off the cape and run over to Bucky. I hold out the cape to him, and he takes it with confusion.

"Be your own hero." I told him and kissed his cheek. He gave me a smile, not one of pain or remorse, a real one.

"Keep him safe." He says. He was pointing to Captain America. I nod and watch him disappear. I sit on the ground, the water hitting my feet as I watch over Captain America. I knew him, but I couldn't remember. I felt safe, but unsure at the same time. 

The sound of a chopper comes close and I turn to see one landing a few feet in front of us. I quickly get up and hold my Daggers in my hand, protecting Captain America. He would not be taken like I was or Bucky was. Three people approach me. A black man in a black trench coat and eyepatch, a woman with straight red hair and a dark catsuit, and the other I could not see well.

The woman in the catsuit freezes as her eyes fall on us. Her eyes seem to become teary, but she would not let them fall.

"Mika....what did they do to you?" She said softly. She came closer but I backed away, my daggers out more.

"You will not take him." I growl.

"We won't hurt him Mika." The man with the eyepatch said. His arm was pressed against his body in a sling. He must have been injured. "But we need to take him to get help."

"No. You will hurt him and I promised to keep him safe." Then a man emerges from behind the Red head. His skin was dark as well, but his t-shirt was a little gray blue. His face had cuts along the cheek, as if he was punched multiple times. He looked at me with pity. I lower my weapons slightly.

"Sam?" I ask. I remember him protecting Amira. Holding her tight as he flew to help. Making breakfast with her.

"Mika. It is me. Is Steve okay?" Sam asked. HE slowly approached as he looked at Cap.

"He is injured.....Is Amira okay?" I ask him. I wanted to see her so badly.

"Amira is fine. She been worried about you. Lets go and we can see her." He says, holding his hand out. I step back, unsure. Cap groans in pain, but he was still unresponsive. To protect him, I would have to go with them. 

I slowly reach out my hand and touch Sam's hand. I hear the Red head and Sam breath out in relief. I feel relief flood out of me. The black on my arms lowered slightly, but it was still there.

One Step at a time, I would be back.