Chapter Eight

"why is LA pizza so stupid and fancy?" i said peering into the box. "like whatever happened to a plain slice?"

"oh whatever, its food!" Cara had already polished off 2 slices and was happy as a clam.

my trip with the guys had coincided with a work trip she had in New York so were both tired and chilling out at home.

"so lady, have you and Prince Ocean swapped sit yet?" she mumbled around a mouthful of food, wiggling her eyebrows.

i picked at my slice and screwed up my face. "well i did with someone."

her eyebrows shot up. "someone... else? ohmigawd you little slut! i love it!"

"cara!" i was half appalled and have proud of myself. she demanded to know the gory details but i wasn't sure how to say it. this had gotten confusing fast.

"whats his name! is he someone i know? his he cute?" she berated me, pizza sauce on the side of her mouth.

i puffed up my checks and let out a huge sigh. "well... her name is Sydney. Syd actually..."

she sat and stared at me for a long moment and then exploded.

"oh my god... I FUCKING KNEW IT! YOU WERE ALWAYS THE KINKY ONE! OH THIS IS PERFECT! YESSS!" she was laughing and clapping her hands and shaking me. it was all the opposite of how i thought this would go. "you know what's funny? some blog is telling everyone im Gay for my friend Rita and they may just be right." she dissolved into a fit of giggles.

i was floored. that made things so much easier.

Cara started to ask all about Syd and even had me find a picture online. there was one with her and tyler at a party or something and Cara looked impressed. then a look of realisation crossed her face.

"shit... she's in OF right? then... she's friends with frank?"

i nodded slowly and slumped into the couch.

"okay miss greedy, how does he feel about this?" she looked at me and seemed to really feel bad for me. not that she really should.

"he sorta put it together and then brought this uber hot girl to the last show in San Francisco. he made it really clear i think. god he must hate me!" i sputter dramatically and fell across her lap. she laughed and stroked my hair.

"oh shut up, he's just making you jealous. schoolyard shit. i doubt she was that hot anyway." she dismissed it easily.

i gave her a look.

"that hot, huh?"

"smoldering. like lava on a summer day." i sighed.

"it'll be fine. if anything this Syd girl may turn out to be your 'princess charming'" cara joked.

"i know i know... but Franks so nice." it came out as a whine and we both laughed at how silly i was being.

"well, you cant have it all missy." she nodded solemnly. she had a point. i really did need to sort this out. who did i like more? who was even worth it?

i had to say... both sides were looking good.

---

to add further doubt in me about an hour after Cara fell asleep i got a call from Syd

***

me: "hello?"

Syd: "hey girl."

me: "what are you doing up, i thought you'd be worn out from this week."

Syd: "oh i am, i was just working on some things. wanted to check in on you i guess."

me: "oh really now?"

Syd: "yeah yeah, i was just thinking too much."

me: "what about?"

Syd: "lots of things... you."

me: "... oh."

Syd: "nah not like that, you just came to mind. i wrote a song."

me: "...what's it about?"

Syd: "uh... love. sorta."

me: "syd... whats this about?"

Syd: "nah im just... i mean don't pay me any mind. i was smokin and i wrote a song. i'll finish it."

me: "you should go to bed. don't do anything else."

Syd: "yeah... yeah. you know whats funny?"

me: "whats funny, hun?"

Syd: "you're not even my girl..."

***

she trailed off and i heard a muffled goodnight before the line went dead.

"im sorry Syd... i really am." i whispered to myself slowly. to make sure i knew how to say it.